Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Toys That Made US

I watched the Star Wars one so far, it was really good. I'm looking forward to more shows. The Star Trek one should be lots of fun.

I wonder if someone will make one called The Games That Made Us. (even though there was a brief mention of games)

They could make several episodes on boardgames, card games, role-playing games and video games.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    The GI Joe one disappointed me, it dwelled too much on tiny Joe in name only, should have spent more time with the original action figure.
    Nah,while the 12" was the original pioneer,it was nowhere near the awesomeness that was GI JOE: A Real American Hero in the 80's and no comparison.It deserved at the attention it got.

Blog Entries
    I think my favourite episodes were the Barbie and MOTU ones.

That's coming from someone who thinks He-Man adoration is a bit hyperbolic but I really dig it.

As someone who has interviewed former Mego employees, it's really common for 6 people to take credit for one thing. REALLY COMMON.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    The GI Joe one disappointed me, it dwelled too much on tiny Joe in name only, should have spent more time with the original action figure.
    GI Joe was one that could have easily been a two-parter. They barely scratched the surface.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonGhost View Post
    GI Joe was one that could have easily been a two-parter. They barely scratched the surface.
    Yeah, even when they did an excellent doc about the 12" ones, they only focus on the solider element. The Adventure Team is always glossed over, which is a mistake because it's a great story.

Almost done with the first four eps, just have a few minutes of the GI Joe to watch. I've enjoyed it pretty well, and can't wait to see a Mego episode.

I think the He-Man ep was the most interesting to me, which is a little odd since I never owned any of the toys, watched the show, or really cared anything about it before a few years ago. Actually, from this season Star Wars are the only toys I have a real connection with. I had one hand-me-down Joe, an Adventure Team dude that I didn't play with all that much, and all I know of Barbie is that my sister had some and now my daughter does. It was an interesting episode too, though.

I'm not super keen on the narrator of the show, but the interviews are great, and all the little tid-bits and behind the scenes stuff is really interesting. These toy people are characters!
    WH--? Where in blazes are we, Wall Crawler?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post

it's really common for 6 people to take credit for one thing. REALLY COMMON.
    I haven't seen the episode but, yeah, there is this long standing very heated debate over who actually created the original He-Man concept.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    I haven't seen the episode but, yeah, there is this long standing very heated debate over who actually created the original He-Man concept.
    I had caught wind of Roger Sweet and his book before but I hadn't read it. He's an interesting character.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
    Nah,while the 12" was the original pioneer,it was nowhere near the awesomeness that was GI JOE: A Real American Hero in the 80's and no comparison.It deserved at the attention it got.
    In your opinion. It was a sad day when the 12 inch joe went away and came back a few years later as a sawed off little runt with a lot of the play value lost. Your little Joe would not even exist if it weren't for the original. I doubt a lot of things after 1964 would have even came about, Captain Action, Johnny West, WGSH... etc may have never seen the light of day if not for GI Joe
    Last edited by thunderbolt; Dec 28, '17 at 1:24 PM.
    Planet Earth is Blue

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    I had caught wind of Roger Sweet and his book before but I hadn't read it. He's an interesting character.
    Yeah, I think he tries to take full credit for MOTU. I know he created the first figure mock ups out of some Big Jim figures (a barbarian, tank guy and Boba Fett looking guy) and possibly even came up with the He-Man name but it's basically understood that Mark Taylor came up with the original Torak concept that would eventually become He-Man. The whole concept was probably pretty vague at that point in development. Michael Halperin wrote the story bible for the characters in 82 and a lot of what we now know as MOTU was finally really fleshed out.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Dec 28, '17 at 1:31 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...