• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
    may have never seen the light of day if not for GI Joe
    And GI JOE wouldn't exist without Barbie. Hasbro wanted to copy the success of Barbie with a line of male dolls marketed to boys. Hasbro used the same concept Mattel used for Barbie with an affordable basic doll with a line of fashions (now military outfits) to dress the dolls in.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• GordoCrisp
      Museum Super Collector
      • Nov 1, 2012

I didn't get into the 80s GI Joe line, all growed up in junior high school, you know, but that was a cool episode.

Larry Hama is one cool dude, and I recognized him when they mentioned his appearances on MASH!

Also great was Jim Swearingen in the Star Wars episode. I like humble people.

Comment

• Teemu
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2010

In your opinion. It was a sad day when the 12 inch joe went away and came back a few years later as a sawed off little runt with a lot of the play value lost. Your little Joe would not even exist if it weren't for the original. I doubt a lot of things after 1964 would have even came about, Captain Action, Johnny West, WGSH... etc may have never seen the light of day if not for GI Joe
        That "little joe" went on to be the greatest and most desirable era of GI Joe toys ever ...PERIOD! Pretty sure this line still would of existed without your 12" Joe the 80's had some of the best lines that will never be recreated

Oh and Sideshow brought out some really nice 1/6 scale Joes...based on the 80's characters
        Last edited by Teemu; Dec 28, '17, 5:06 PM.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
          learning all the time
          • Sep 15, 2010

I think mego deserves its own episode.

and personally I would've liked more 12" joe in that episode...

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
            learning all the time
            • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
            And GI JOE wouldn't exist without Barbie. Hasbro wanted to copy the success of Barbie with a line of male dolls marketed to boys. Hasbro used the same concept Mattel used for Barbie with an affordable basic doll with a line of fashions (now military outfits) to dress the dolls in.
            You're right. Barbie-- GI Joe-- Action Jackson/WGSH-- Kenner doing SW...

(that's about when my idea of "play" changed)

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Teemu
              That "little joe" went on to be the greatest and most desirable era of GI Joe toys ever ...PERIOD! Pretty sure this line still would of existed without your 12" Joe the 80's had some of the best lines that will never be recreated

Oh and Sideshow brought out some really nice 1/6 scale Joes...based on the 80's characters
              Again, in your opinion. It would not have existed maybe as its original SHIELD revamp at Marvel, would have not gotten the toy line that it did. Hasbro probably wouldn't have even existed into the 80s if not for GI Joe in the 60s and 70s.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

I watched all four last week and really enjoyed them. I only collect one of the four lines covered (SW, and even that one in a limited fashion) but all were very entertaining, really cool seeing interviews with so many of the folks involved in the lines' creation.

Comment

• Teemu
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 15, 2010

Again, in your opinion. It would not have existed maybe as its original SHIELD revamp at Marvel, would have not gotten the toy line that it did. Hasbro probably wouldn't have even existed into the 80s if not for GI Joe in the 60s and 70s.
                  Sure,it Pioneered the way....but still the most successful time period of G.I.Joe...that's a fact! Just because you maybe didn't collect it back then doesn't make it so.....80's toys was a time like no other

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Jeez, can we stop the preference fight already? Whatever floats your boat ok? Everybody wins.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

^LOL. I just finished watching it. What a wonderful history of the brand. Nice collection there, Brian.

These are just sublime. The Barbie one was perhaps most surprising in its anecdotes. I have yet to watch the He-Man one.

Dare I dream we get a Captain Action Episode?

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Jeez, can we stop the preference fight already? Whatever floats your boat ok? Everybody wins.
                        1000 times this! Everyone has different likes and tastes, it's all subjective and therefore pointless to argue over.

Originally posted by Hedji

Dare I dream we get a Captain Action Episode?
                        That would be awesome but I'm guessing we might get a superhero toy episode instead? (covering CA, WGSH, Super Powers, Secret Wars, etc). An hour wouldn't be anywhere near enough to cover everything though, that would be the bad part.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 28, 2008

I've caught up and seen them all now. These are enjoyable and fun to watch, but I think they could probably have expanded both the Barbie and GI Joe ones to cover the history more in depth. They basically are looking at 5 years for MOTU and primarily the span of the original trilogy for the bulk of Star Wars, and the 45-50 minutes seems to work for those, but then it creates stretches for both Barbie & Joe that get glossed over. I'd be interested in more on both lines, and I haven't collected either. Given these seem to clearly be coming from a vantage point that's about my age (I was born in 1975, and the smaller RAH, MOTU, and SW are all the center of my youth), I'm actually surprised they aren't also doing one on Cabbage Patch (or maybe Strawberry Shortcake, but CPK would seem to be the next major toy to hit on).

I would like to see a more chronological approach, but I understand going this way. It would be great to see installments on Captain Action, Big Jim, Best of the West, Mego (I think the WGSH line by itself would be worth a separate episode), Fisher Price (both Little People and Adventure People), and, even though I never collected either, Care Bears or My Little Pony. I would guess the Gabriel Lone Ranger wouldn't fit an entire episode (and the toy that made me, Legends of the West, definitely wouldn't), but I'd love to see one on cowboy toys (maybe including licensed properties that had TV series, going back to Davy Crockett craze).

Is there a best recommended book on the history of figures? I'm especially interested in finding a history of the Hartland cowboy line.
                          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Bravestarr
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Mar 26, 2017

Fight fight fight LOL

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

I haven't seen it, I don't have Netflix. But I have been reading about it.

On the He-Man episode, I wasn't surprised to hear that twenty percent of MOTU collectors were girls. I was disappointed to read the MOTU guys blamed the eventual decline in sales on She-Ra. It couldn't have been that the line had simply run its course or increased competition or The Real Ghostbusters had become the next big thing or the live action movie didn't click with audiences or the Sword and Sorcery genre was waning in popularity. No, it had to be She-Ra. I'm a little sad to hear they feel that way. The property had a VERY good run by the time sales had declined.

Personally, I think, Mattel has always had this mindset of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Even at its worst MOTU probably would have been considered still a success and viable property for any other company. I think they cancelled it too quickly only to realize He-Man and MOTU still had tremendous brand recognition. That's why we got the ill fated New Adventures reboot so soon.
                              Last edited by Werewolf; Jan 18, '18, 3:58 PM. Reason: typos
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I was surprised that gave She-Ra that much credit for ruining He-Man. They do point out that Mattel didn't keep the core characters available outside of new versions of He-Man and Skeletor. That was a problem I knew well, as my He-Man's arm got chewed up by a neighbor dog, and I had to wait for what seemed like years before Mattel finally re-released "The ORIGINAL He-Man".

Mattel definitely gave up too quickly. In fact, all the major toy manufacturers did on the big lines back then. Even Transformers went lights-out for a few years before the G2 reissues started.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎