Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Mattel oversaturated the marketplace with MOTU, they did similar things with Big Jim.

When I was in college ('93) there was STILL a four-foot wide MOTU clearance section full of less than popular characters, Mark Huckabone was smarter than me and filled my trunk on more than one Canada trip.

The She-Ra theory is putting blame on someone else, pure and simple.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Klosterheim
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 23, 2013

I would have thought She-Ra would have had the opposite effect since the animated series added the all new Horde characters.

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

(season 2) Next 4 episodes may be before April:

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
        Last edited by comicmike; Feb 14, '18, 7:11 AM.

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Klosterheim
          I would have thought She-Ra would have had the opposite effect since the animated series added the all new Horde characters.
          Not to mention, a few MOTU characters who were too late to be included in the MOTU cartoon.

Would've been nice if POP gave MOTU new legs. But, regardless of if they hurt MOTU, they certainly didn't help. The Princess Of Power girl dolls weren't all that blendable with MOTU... even MOTU's Teela and Evil-Lyn lacked POP's rooted hair and stood a bit less imposing than their POP female counterparts.

And, according to the Toys That Made Us doc, the girl toys design department originally wanted to go much bigger (akin to Barbie), but according to the Mattel design women, those silly, insecure men designing the boy's toys said it was a bad idea to have such a thing occur.

Originally posted by palitoy
          The She-Ra theory is putting blame on someone else, pure and simple.
          I'd say that's a reasonably inaccurate statement.

Blaming She-Ra in the context that it was explained in TTTMU as "little sisters making older brothers feel their territory was breached (and subsequently tainted and worth abandoning)" checks out sufficiently (logically) to me... and, unless you think that sounds entirely unreasonable (which, I concede you may), the 'little sister Kryptonite" theory's plausibility is one reason She-Ra's emergence taking both MOTU/POP down is not such a simple a theory to discard.

Interestingly, another theory of MOTU's initial demise put forth in that totally awesome TTTMU documentary (which Werewolf, as a big MOTU fan, MUST see) was hinted at in your post:

Originally posted by palitoy
          When I was in college ('93) there was STILL a four-foot wide MOTU clearance section full of less than popular characters...
          The documentary stated that both He-Man and Skeletor figures were NOT being shipped out with those lesser known characters proportionally.
          (Re-edited to acknowledge that Earth 2 Chris mentioned this same theory above)

Mucho Buzz-Off... Poquito Skeletor and so on.

Reminds me of how it was the opposite for me and Mego WGSH.... I never saw anything except the big 4 in stores (barring the wall of Kresge Riddlers in a K-Mart one time).
          Last edited by huedell; Feb 15, '18, 6:21 PM.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Bravestarr
            Museum Super Collector
            • Mar 26, 2017

I need to see this but dont have netflix anymore

Comment

• pmwasson
              Maker
              • Sep 12, 2007

Season 2 available on May 25th!

Available May 25
              Ibiza (NETFLIX FILM)
              Steve Martin and Martin Short: An Evening You Will Forget for the Rest of Your Life (NETFLIX ORIGINAL)
              The Toys That Made Us, Season 2 (NETFLIX ORIGINAL)
              Trollhunters, Part 3 (NETFLIX ORIGINAL)
              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Huzzah!!!
                sigpic

Comment

• Klosterheim
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 23, 2013

I'm looking forward to season 2!

Star Trek!

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

Apparently the 4 episodes in season 2 are Transformers, LEGO, Hello Kitty and Star Trek...

-M
                    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

So they're calling it season 2 now? Thought these were supposed to be the second batch of episodes of season 1? Guess that's neither here nor there, but I confuse easily.
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• comicmike
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 22, 2009

Great news, can't wait

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

"Hello Kitty" might be a tough pill to swallow, but I see why they did it. But I'll probably watch it, I actually enjoyed the "Barbie" episode and they aren't really my thing, either.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 28, 2008

I've watched this new season. I appreciated the Hello Kitty installment since that's not a toy I've ever had more than a passing acquaintance with, and the Transformers one was fine (although I never really got into them). Both LEGO and Star Trek ones were more up my alley in terms of personal interest. Star Trek had a different nature, since that was more a case of fitting toys to an entity than following the creation and development of a license. It would be like doing an episode on superheroes that touched on Captain Action and Mego then Super Powers and Secret Wars, all with quick nods. The result for it was that I felt like I followed it because I already knew the larger context. I do hope this series continues, but I think I enjoyed the initial quartet a little more.
                            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 23, 2013

I watched the Star Trek episode and really enjoyed it.

Spoilers-

It's good that they included Mission to Gama VI. I guess they would not pass that up.

I don't think that I ever encountered the Star Trek: The Next Generation toy commercials on television before. Maybe they were fast-forwarded since I watched many episodes on tape. It was weird having no memory of the toys on TV, when the show originally played on the air. Saw them in magazines and paper catalogs, but they went right by me on TV.

Some toys I really loved on there.

I liked when they talked about the Gorn. One feature was there that I never knew was a part of the Mego Gorn! I had a loose Gorn too, just didn't know all about it.

Comment

• comicmike
                                Persistent Member
                                • Sep 22, 2009

I especially loved the Star Trek one: The Mego content was very well done, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎