X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Christmas Wishlist 1981

This past summer, my family sold the home that belonged to my grandparents, a place I spent some very happy Christmases in. I even wrote a blog post about it back in the fall.

While it was obviously a sad time, it also had it's bright spots. One of them was discovering the woman kept everything I ever drew or wrote in her home. It was a really warm feeling to be honest.

Seeing as it's Christmas, I thought I'd share my wishlist from I'm guessing 1981. Every year I'd cut out pictures from catalogs and present it to her so she'd know what I'm on about. I had posted one from 1979 but I totally forgot about this one.

As you can see Star Wars was my big thing that year.

Smurfs? That was total peer pressure, every kid in my class was into them that year and I felt kind of like the odd man out for not having any on my desk.

I did get the At-At from my folks (and it was EPIC!) but I'm not sure I got any of the other stuff, I certainly didn't get any Smurfs.

Fond memories like this is why I started this site and I really wanted to share it. Thank you.For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

This is gold. I wanted the missing link too, but never got it. I am having a chuckle. I can't imagine too many other kids were absolutely dazzled by the gotta-have-it PD-8 Mini Rig. I eventually picked one up for a song at a show.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

That is awesome. How great of your grandmother to keep that! I had tons of Smurfs, but I was the right age, and my Mom managed a Hallmark store.

But what was a "missing link"?

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

It was sort of a vertical version of the Rubik's Cube.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

I got AT-AT Christmas of 81, as well. Epic is a good way to describe it.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Loved missing link !!!

It was the only puzzle of it's kind you didn't need to be a brain surgeon to solve

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Oh, yes, Missing Link! My sister had one. It had a chain printed on it!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

My Niece had a Missing Link and I had a Pyraminx --- was always super jelly

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Pyraminx would always fall apart. It suffered from shoddy construction. I remember being so disappointed.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
                    Pyraminx would always fall apart. It suffered from shoddy construction. I remember being so disappointed.
                    You must have got a Friday afternoon built one ...

Mine was a rock and survived a few times being smacked against my wall in anger (don't tell my mama)

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I like Smurfs. I have no problem admitting it.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎