Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I have to think Mattel's environment was vastly different to Kenner. Kenner was probably closer to Mego in that way.

Also, i think some of the Mattel guys are bitter. I once read Sweet got the boot and was working at Home Depot.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy

Also, i think some of the Mattel guys are bitter.
      I think the big difference is the SW team at Kenner were working on a licensed brand and MOTU was created in house. So, the MOTU guys feel more of an ownership of the property. MOTU was such a mish mash of ideas (Conan, Flash Gordon, Tarzan, LOTR, Norse mythology, etc.) and so many different people worked on it. The artists that did the Boris Vallejo inspired box art and card art should also not be over looked in the brand's early identity and success. But the toy line would not have become the phenomenon, it was, and the lasting pop culture icon, it still is, without the Filmation cartoon.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, that's a good point, star Wars isn't a Kenner property.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
          I have to think Mattel's environment was vastly different to Kenner. Kenner was probably closer to Mego in that way.
          That strikes me as apt. Did you read the Mattel vs. Hasbro book, Miller's Toy Wars?
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

I have and really enjoyed it.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

That damn chair in the Barbie episode was a bit distracting.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                Most executives skin a human being and leave it laying around...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

I kept trying to figure out what that was back there.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Out of curiosity I did some googling and apparently it's a sculpture called Girl in a Sling Chair by Frank Gallo, there used to be one in the Playboy Mansion too.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by cjefferys
                      OK so seriously, what was that exactly?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

THANK YOU! That was kind of nuts and really took the focus away from the show. My one complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
                        Yes, Barbie was essentially the German sex doll Bild Lilly repackaged as a fashion doll for girls.
                        Calling Lilli a sex doll isn't really accurate. It wasn't even anatomically correct. Lilli was a fashion doll from a comic strip (which is probably pretty tame by today's standards) for a German newspaper. The fashion doll was originally intended as a gag gift, for adults, but quickly became popular with German children and earned its greatest success as a play doll.

The Lilli doll design was heavily retooled, like adding rooted hair and removable shoes, for the original pony tail Barbie. The 1959 Barbie was very similar but not an exact copy.

More on Lilli:

It would be like taking something from the back part of a Spencer's and rebranding it under Fisher Price nowadays.
                        Ninja Turtles was an incredibly violent and dark adult comic before becoming the beloved G rated cartoon and toy line it's famous for.
                        Sorry, just going by the general feel of the doll. It was definitely the angle the show was going in with the doll, and it's more fun to say "Barbie came from a sex doll" than to really get the facts right. But it's not cool to further such myths if we know better. My bad.

Chris
                        Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Jan 6, '18, 10:51 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          But it's not cool to further such myths if we know better.
                          No worries.

It's a bit disappointing to hear that's the angle the show was going for. I suppose it's more exciting for the show to perpetuate the myth that Barbie was molded after a "sex doll" than the more boring truth that Lilli was just a fashion doll.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Hedji
                            OK so seriously, what was that exactly?
                            See my post above yours.

An odd choice to make sure it was often seen in the shot. The way the scene was framed and set up, it's almost like either the interviewee or the filmmaker wanted to make sure it was prominently shown for some reason but yeah, it just ended up distracting from the interview so it was a poor decision IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎