Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

And future episodes better mention LEGO...which happens to be the largest toy company in the world, even bigger than Hasbro (Mattel is second).
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Brian said that Mego is in the mix. Does that mean there is an all Mego episode coming? I do hope so.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I’m mad...mad...mad...mad!!!!!!!!

sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Hector
          Sure, glossed over time...but wasn’t Mego huge? That’s like leaving out Japan outta the Axis Powers.

So how big was Mego in its heyday? Because the episode mentioned Barbie, G.I. Joe, Hasbro, Parker Brothers, Mattel, galoob, Playmates, and obviously Kenner (duh)...everyone except Mego...which I found downright insulting...

Was Mego one of the toys companies that turn down Lucas? Or is that urban legend?
          Yeah I called it, after I saw the trailer I knew it was going to be tied into hot properties by Mattel, Hasbro, etc. With the condensed media we have these days there simply isn't a reason for them to promote a dead company brand like Mego.

If the show gets another round Transformers and Hot Wheels will be a lock, the other 2 will be anyone's guess. But I don't think Mego or Trek toys will get the nod like many or hoping for.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
            Yeah I called it, after I saw the trailer I knew it was going to be tied into hot properties by Mattel, Hasbro, etc. With the condensed media we have these days there simply isn't a reason for them to promote a dead company brand like Mego.

If the show gets another round Transformers and Hot Wheels will be a lock, the other 2 will be anyone's guess. But I don't think Mego or Trek toys will get the nod like many or hoping for.
            Wow, we agree on something again, lol.

But whether Mego is ever given a full episode (which I highly doubt)...LEGO has to be one of the other two, as it’s one of the most influential toy companies ever...and the largest one today at that...

P.S. Good call on Transformers and Hot Wheels.
            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Ok, I’m going to watch the Barbie episode...as there’s nothing on TV but college football (which I don’t follow), and I’m bored...

sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Star Trek is one of the next episodes and Paul Clarke provided all the toys behind Marty. I provided some commercial reels and photographs for the piece.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Now, to be fair...as a stand alone Star Wars/Kenner/Hasbro episode...it was pretty good. I was just disappointed that toy companies like galoob and Playmates get mentioned, and not Mego. I know you guys say it will be mentioned later, cool.

After Barbie, I’m skipping He-Man, because I have ZERO interest in that toyline. Never got into it, didn’t like nor watched He-Man cartoons...and actually hated it back in the day...still don’t like it.

But I’ll definitely watch G.I. Joe for sure...
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                    Star Trek is one of the next episodes and Paul Clarke provided all the toys behind Marty. I provided some commercial reels and photographs for the piece.
                    Thank you guys!!!!!!!!!

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Oh wait...I just read that He-Man is about the epic rise and FALL of their billion dollar empire..

Ok, I’ll watch it then...

sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

i've watched it twice, it"s terrific.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Yep, every episode is well worth watching.

See, I like learning about all toy lines. I don't collect Barbie, but that was one of the most fascinating histories. To only watch the episodes of toy lines you collect is missing out on some great content. I think the show really strikes the sweet spot with the right balance of information for die hards and welcoming anecdotes for the unfamiliar.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Ok, I’ll watch them all.

But...WARNING...if the next wave of episodes doesn’t include a bit more Mego or LEGO...I’m going to go ballistic...

Hot Wheels too!

sigpic

Comment

• number 6
                              Village Idiot
                              • Jul 10, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                              On the one hand, I'm tickled pink they're doing a Trek episode since that's right in my wheelhouse.

On the other, based on what I've seen of these first 4 episodes, I curious as to how exactly a Trek episode is going to fit in

The toy lines that were featured - G.I. Joe, Barbie Star Wars, He-Man - all had ancillary merchandise like books, puzzles, board games, etc. But there was always the primary toy line from the 1 company that was driving all the other merchandise.

While there was a lot of Star Trek toys released in the 70's (compared to what was released during the show's original run) I don't get the impression that any 1 toy line or company was driving it like these others.

Honestly, as much as I love Trek toys, with the exception of the Mego figures and AMT model kits, most of the stuff was kind of rack toy quality.

And while I think Trek Megos are some of the best 70's toys, I can't say that was a line or company that was driving the other merchandise. They made TOS figures for only 3 years, and the last wave doesn't seem to have gotten very wide distribution. Then they did the movie toys in '79/'80 and that was a flop.

I don't know, like I said, it seems like the phenomenon driving all of it was the show in syndication, not any one toy line.

I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

Comment

• number 6
                                Village Idiot
                                • Jul 10, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
                                Ok, I’ll watch them all.

But...WARNING...if the next wave of episodes doesn’t include a bit more Mego or LEGO...I’m going to go ballistic...

Hot Wheels too!

Though not shown, Hot Wheels get's mentioned a fair bit in the Barbie episode.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎