X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boywonder0
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by tllgn
    ^^ if you folks dont like FTC ,no one says you have too ,or even buy them .Is FTC perfect ? ,no ,not really ,but neither was EMCE /diamond or Emce/bif bang pow .
    i collected a bunch of retro megos from all the companies that made them , i like the format ,i would have loved the Emce peter parker ,but his head was to small,Capt pikes head to big ,universal monsters -wolfman and dracula -didnt look much like the movies ,bif bang pows figures had large heads on some ,Steve didnt look much
    like Lee majors ,Hank and dean on bodies that were to buff for these skinny guys .and Ftc with their issues .despite all these things i still love the fact that
    mego style figures are being produced ,and FTC is now the only one left (for the moment)thats doing the MEGO -retro mego figures .and i think they should get Kudos
    for that .cause once their done with it (hopefully not for a long while ) that may be the end of the format .so i intend to enjoy the ride despite the price .countless varients ,Do i buy them all ? .not at all ,i buy the ones i like which is a lot .so to the dissapointed who are out there -not everyone is happy about anything .
    Right on! I'm so glad that FTC doesn't even lurke around here. If it were for the whinners we wouldn't have retro figures past the Alfred Pennyworth release...

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Boywonder0
      Right on! I'm so glad that FTC doesn't even lurke around here. If it were for the whinners we wouldn't have retro figures past the Alfred Pennyworth release...
      lol Like I've said before, there's a pretty good balance here of the whiners and cheerleaders. We're all able to vote with our wallets, regardless.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

You are absolutey right. If it doesn't have removable clothing and accessories it aint Mego like to me. NECA molded shoes take away customizing fun which is part of what made Mego unique and fun.
        This is my general feeling, too. I'd buy NECA for customizing, but they're pricey.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Timothy2251
          Jerks beef with Ten Bears
          • Mar 15, 2008

Big fan of the NECA figures myself. I think they look pretty good on the shelf next to my other Megos, just a bit next level in terms of clothing and sculpts, but I could easily see Mego going that route if the company were in existence today. Also, I've found the pricing is pretty comparable to what FTC is pushing, maybe a buck or two more, true, but not that bad. I was fortunate, however, to buy most of the figures at Toys R Us soon after they came out, with the rare exception being eBay (paid about $100+ for the rare Pamela Voorhees and Jason two pack - glad I have the set for my collection, but really wish they'd released that at retail instead of a Comic Con exclusive). I just want them to cool it with the various Freddy, Jason and Leatherface variants and give us more horror characters like Pinhead and the Cenobites from Hellraiser, Mego scaled Aliens and Predator figures (space marines and Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dutch, or even Arnold from Commando), the rest of the Devil's Rejects (I have Captain Spaulding, I need the rest of the Fireflys!). So glad we're getting figures from Re-Animator and the Fog, though!

FTC is more hit than miss for me, though. Yeah, the big head issue and clothes fitting can be a royal pain in the keister, but I do like the majority of what they're putting out. They just need to focus a bit more on their QC issues and they'd be golden.
          "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• noelani72
            27inaleon
            • Jun 25, 2002

EMCE quality and devotion to their Trek line is unparalleled in the retro mego world. Bodies stand, bodies pose, no bobble head, no oversized heads. Couldn't be more Mego if they were Mego themselves.
            NECA, however being the same scale, are in a league of their own due to their realism...and well worth the $29.99 MSRP (have you looked at completed Neca Jason eBay sales? Long sold out, still in demand pulling in over $100 MIP)
            FTC's claim to fame is getting the DC license...and speed racing through figures at warp speed. Amazes me how many figures they put out in such a small timeframe. With that speed, came a cost - Quality and Customer Service...and MSRP kept rising and rising.

FTC has been as polarizing to our community as politics. It's either a Love or Hate relationship and both sides will type until their fingers bleed (lol, as I am doing) trying to make their position the absolute truth and if you don't agree with an opinion, you are a jerk. The ability for FTC to create such a divide on these boards speaks to how I have lost a vast majority of interest in re-mego stuff...and my wallet only has so much disposable income to spend. If it boils down to a $29.99 Hateful 8 Hot-toys-quality action figure or a $29.99 Space Ghost figure with his laundry list of issues...my wallet has spoken (and it is waiting for the used Johnny Quest and Scooby Doo figures to start popping up on eBay)

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

They lurk here and have for a long time and that's the problem. They've known about their QC issues going back to 2005 and there's been minor improvements. They were given a mulligan for about a decade, but when you pick up a major license you've got deliver.

Just look at CAW and ZICA. They've never had the funds FTC had, but produced 5x the quality. If FTC was serious, they would have bought one of those two out years ago, used their designs and had them solve the QC issues.

Comment

• wise guy
                Career Member
                • Dec 29, 2014

I do think the Universal Monster line by EMCE is one of the best mego like lines ever but I
                don't think as much with their Star Trek line with Pike's huge head & generic redshirt.
                All my Emce Treks are broken in a box of parts with Emce POA , Captain Eli and a bunch
                of buff bodies . I have worse luck with Emce bodies snapping off hip joints than the FTC bodies but FTC needs to fix large head issue
                Last edited by wise guy; Mar 11, '18, 4:06 PM.

Comment

• Psykodelik Vampyre
                  Museum Patron
                  • Jan 22, 2018

Things that make ya go "Hmmmmm"...

^^^ ^^^
                  https://www.reverbnation.com/psykodelikvampyres

Comment

• jayraytee
                    Career Member
                    • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by wise guy
                    I do think the Universal Monster line by EMCE is one of the best mego like lines ever but I
                    don't think as much with their Star Trek line with Pike's huge head & generic redshirt.
                    All my Emce Treks are broken in a box of parts with Emce POA , Captain Eli and a bunch
                    of buff bodies . I have worse luck with Emce bodies snapping off hip joints than the FTC bodies but FTC needs to fix large head issue
                    I have not bought any FTC figures since some of the teen titans and the fist fighters. So they may have changed, but I seriously doubt it.

The FTC bodies have a lot of issues. First the bodies are smaller than they should be, the heads are larger than they should be (typically). The torso plastic is cheaper and thinner. They use incorrect rubber "bands" to attach the arms and legs (the rubber is too tough and not stretchy enough). Its almost like a black strip of old tire instead of a rubber band. I've actually had figures where the arms are either pulled inside the torso a bit or the torso arm hole area bent because the bands were too tight. On the teen titans (I gave mine to my son to play with) the arms are pulled in such a way that the little metal clasp gets hung up on the torso arm hole all the time. The female bodies (the last ones I actually bought supergirl, batgirl, etc) were hunched over because of the tough black arm and leg bands being used to string the head/neck plug. This was so tight that on some figures the neck plug was pulled inside the torso. I had to take them all apart and restring them. Their hands constantly fall off, my kids pretend like they can shoot their hands at people as if it's a super power.

The main issue I have with this is that I never had any of these issues with original Megos, ever. I even used to have original megos I bought and played with as a kid, still holding up like 40 years later. FTC stuff barely holds up 10 minutes out of the package. Keep em in the package... but I wonder if that cheap plastic will deteriorate or rot after a few years. Mego did have the head greying issue, but I will put money on the FTC figures having a lot more issues and much much sooner.

The "Mego brand" used to mean something, it was their coolness and quality that made them so popular. I was about 5 when they first came out and played with mine hard and was still playing with them when I was 8, and as I said before I still had them like 40 years later.

FTC will keep churning them out as cheaply as possible and I believe the brand is being reduced to the quality of the FTC figures. The general public if they ever even buy one of these figures will come to see this type of figure as severely flawed and cheaply made.
                    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• wise guy
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 29, 2014

I had original mego T2 bodies broken knee joints ,torn heads, snagged costumes,and T1
                      Mego bodies broken elastic bands ,discolored capes and a blue nose on R.C. Batman.
                      My Mego Ironman had a cracked boot. My brother let his daughter play with a couple
                      Mego Star Treks and she snapped the knee joints on Romulon, and Nebulon. A few of
                      my Megos heads turned grey . Ebay has lots of broken Megos and parts that I buy
                      to fix or replace originals that were not made very well like a T2 Hulk with no arms
                      that I picked up recently just for the head ,and pants
                      Last edited by wise guy; Mar 21, '18, 2:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎