X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Meet the Beatles

I wasn't quit sure where to post this, but there was an earlier Beatles topic on this thread a couple of weeks ago, so I wanted to share a pic of my fab four collection.

These are from 1991 Apple Corps Limited Hamilton Gifts made in China, I bought these back then at a local mall greeting cards and gift shop, they each came with
    tags which I still have but probably should have kept them on, I believe these are the outfits from the Ed Sullivan show.
    Attached Files
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Nice set. These are hard to find and usually when they are on Ebay they aint cheap. Not a fan of the early Beatles image...but this is a must have for any Beatles fan. I think I am missing one of them. Now I gotta go check and see.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

cool, now I have to start hunting these down. I am still trying to complete the Macfarlane King Syndicate set at an affordable price. still need Ringo and George from that set

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Back in like the middle-late 90's my bro bought me a full boxed set of these at our local dirt mall.

He paid $10.00 for the whole set.

One thing different, my John had the black and white Rickenbacker guitar

Wish I had a time machine

Comment

• Emgee
          • May 5, 2009

I have this set too. John should indeed come with the black 325 Rickenbacker but of course this may have been mis-packed at the factory or even in the store if some figures became separated from their guitars and a member of staff simply threw it in with him. The first Sullivan appearance saw the lads in black suits. This look is generally thought of as 'The Washington Coliseum' or 'A HARD DAY'S NIGHT' finale look although they did wear the suits on a later Sullivan show beamed from The Deauville Hotel in Miami. Lovely set though and one I have had from time of release when I had family bring me a set back from a holiday in Florida.
          Last edited by Emgee; Dec 20, '17, 8:32 AM.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Yeah, George didn't even have that, pictured, 12 string Rickenbacker, yet. He was playing the Gretsch Country Gentleman and then the Tennessean around the time he got the Rickenbacker 12 string. In early '64 (and, for a couple more years) John played that Rickenbacker 3/4 scale 325, Jetglo.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Emgee
              • May 5, 2009

Agreed Ian. Representatives of Rickenbacker presented one to George during the Feb '64 trip that took in that first set of Sullivan appearances. However he was using the 360 by the time they filmed the finale of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT so this set actually represents that moment in Beatle's history the most authentically.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Totally off topic Beatles question --- as long as it's the Holidays and we're talking about Beatles there's always something I've wondered...

In Christmas-Time is Here Again, why does Ringo keep saying O U T spells out ?

Was that an in-joke or something ?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

^ Is it a drug reference? Something in the foggy past tells me it is, but I’m probably wrong.

- Ian

Comment

• Emgee
                    • May 5, 2009

In England children's playground or street games like 'Patty cake' (As I think US guys may know it), skipping, use different chants and catchphrases to denote the winners and losers and "O U T Spells OUT!" was one of them. Just a little bit of nonsense off the cuff type stuff from Ringo.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

^ There you go! That’s neat insider knowledge. Glad I was wrong!

- Ian

Comment

• Emgee
                        • May 5, 2009

It ain't insider stuff I'm afraid. (Wish it was) Just the fact that I am from England in my mid 50s and remember playing stuff and when the kid loses we'd all chant "O U T spells OUT!!" it was a traditional type of thing. Who knows what some of this stuff was really meant to be though. I grew up as a Beatles nut as my Mum was a fan and was actually pregnant with me when she saw them in late '63. For me they are the best!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

^ Wish the Beatles Anthology would come out on Bluray. Maybe it's too much material. And, when is Let It Be going to be released? I know it was released in 1980 or so on VHS, but that was limited and it.

- Ian

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

Thanks for the info, gents

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡