Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

spoilers
    spoilers
    spoilers
    spoilers
    spoilers
    spoilers

Most of the things people didn't like about this film also happened in the original trilogy. Yoda had about two minutes of screen time in ROTJ before getting killed off. The Emperor had about the same amount of screen time and development as Snoke before getting killed off. We never learn anything about Palpatine other than he's old, and he runs the galaxy.

Ben Kenobi was wiped out in the first movie....same with Biggs, Owen and Beru.

Killing off characters without exploring them is nothing new for Star Wars.

I'm betting Luke will return as a spirit to guide Rey in the next one.

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

spoilers
      spoilers
      spoilers
      spoilers
      spoilers
      spoilers
      spoilers
      spoilers
      spoilers
      spoilers
      spoilers
      spoilers

I fully expect to see Luke's force ghost appear in subsequent films just like Ben and Yoda, though I agree I too was bummed by his death. Very happy to have seen the best Luke scene of any movie in my opinion. Epic return!
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers

My new move at work is if someone takes a jab at me, I just nonchalantly wipe dust off my shoulder.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

spoilers
          spoilers
          spoilers
          spoilers
          spoilers
          spoilers
          spoilers
          spoilers
          spoilers
          spoilers
          spoilers
          spoilers

I'm still not liking a lot of the movie, and a lot of it isn't due to characters being killed off just because we are done with them.

I'm ok now with Luke fading away, but story wise I think he should have been a force ghost the whole time. Even when Rey approaches him, he's a ghost. It would have been an amazing twist at the end knowing he was already one with the force, found his peace on that planet and was helping Rey and the Resistance again. The scene with Kylo could have played out about the same.

I'm hoping JJ Abrams can do wonders with episode IX... I went multiple times to see TFA, and Rogue One, I'm still not sure if I'm going to see TLJ a second time at the theater.
          Last edited by drquest; Dec 19, '17, 12:13 PM.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

spoilers
            spoilers
            spoilers
            spoilers
            spoilers
            spoilers
            spoilers
            spoilers
            spoilers
            spoilers
            spoilers
            spoilers

Let me get this straight:

Criticisms against the film are

1) We don't learn more about Snoke
            2) Rey's parentage is disappointing
            3) Too much humor
            4) Luke never really goes into action before his death

What information about Snoke would really be satisfying? What could they possibly reveal about him that would really add to the story? Why the need to explain everything? Wasn't that a major criticism of the Prequels, that they demystified everything by closing gaps and explaining too much about the Force (midichlorians) and the origins of characters (Boba Fett)?

What parentage reveal about Rey would really be satisfying? That Kenobi had a fling? Wasn't a major criticism of the Prequels that they made everyone related (Vader built Threepio) and that by too much connective tissue, made the Galaxy seem "smaller"? I absolutely love that Rey doesn't even have a last name. Puts her right up there with Yoda. Do we need to know who Yoda's parents are? Wouldn't his origin story take away, rather than add to the character. They did the right thing with this story point for Rey's parents.

This movie would have been a real slog without the humor. Sort of like the first two acts of Rogue One. This had no more or less humor than Episode 7 or 6 for that matter. Jokes land differently for different people, but it all worked for me.

Mark Hamill is older than Alec Guinness was. I think we saw some pretty good action from him, all things considered. What more can they do with him in terms of fighting before it loses impact? The character had to end (and I say that as a fan who would call Luke my favorite character) in order for this new trilogy to completely evolve. I can't in my mind come up with a more satisfying death for Luke.

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

Spoiler
              Spoiler
              Spoiler
              Spoiler
              Spoiler
              Spoilers
              Spoilers
              Spoilers

People just don't like beloved characters dying. That part of the movie doesn't bother me. Clearly, Luke will be back.

1. He says "See you around, kid" to Kylo before disappearing.
              2. They show Yoda not only appear as a ghost, but also use powers even a Jedi wouldn't have (lightning strike) so I'm pretty sure that's foreshadowing Luke's future. Not to mention they always say if you strike me down I'll be more powerful, Yada, yada, but we've never actually seen that. This is the chance to show that power.

Comment

• acrovader
                Career Member
                • Jan 19, 2011

Spoilers
                Spoilers
                Spoilers
                Spoilers
                Spoilers
                Spoilers
                Spoilers
                Spoilers
                Spoilers
                I think Kathleen Kennedy has to go. She is on record saying that the GFFA should reflect 'our universe'. ***? I go to a Star Wars movie expecting to see things I haven't seen before in the saga. Why does everything now have to be stocked with humans? Where are the aliens?? The variety of aliens?? Really sucks.

I'm sick of everything essentially being a rehash of the OT. I don't blame Lucas being unhappy with Disney wanting to go retro on everything.

The humor is over the top. The flying lightsabers was ridiculous. The Superman Leia is Star Wars' version of Indiana Jone's 'nuking the fridge' moment.

Star Wars is all but dead to me.
                I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I don't see the Leia thing as flying, she was floating in space, keeping herself alive with the force and used the force to pull herself into the ship. this to me, falls right into something you have not seen before in a Star Wars movie, so what is the issue?

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    spoilers
                    It's as if someone googled "SW Greatest Hits" and threw it together in one script. "We want Walkers in the snow, and an Emperor, and cute furry things, ....."
                    That's pretty much what happened. And it should have. The prequels didn't understand that. that is why they failed and these are a success. Star Wars originally trilogy reimagined and launched for a new generation with lots of throwbacks.

They have many chances to give Leia a heroic death, but they don't use any of that. Don't even get me started on Super Leia. They kill off all characters except the one of which the actress has died, and cannot return for a sequel.
                    Couldn't agree more!

[/QUOTE]

And personally: I grew up with Luke. I felt we grew up together, going through the cycles of life. And now, after waiting over 30 years, they quickly kill him off in one movie. I couldn't be more disappointed.
                    Sorry for the fans of this movie, but I hated what they did to my beloved saga.
                    I felt the same way about growing up with Luke, but I felt it was fitting send off. After kicking but, we see him look out into the sun (plus reflection) as "Binary Sunset" is played. He came full circle and had fulfilled his heroes journey. I LOVED IT.

Give the movie another try.

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Hedji
                      spoilers
                      spoilers
                      spoilers
                      spoilers
                      spoilers
                      spoilers
                      spoilers
                      spoilers
                      spoilers
                      spoilers
                      spoilers
                      spoilers

What parentage reveal about Rey would really be satisfying? That Kenobi had a fling? Wasn't a major criticism of the Prequels that they made everyone related (Vader built Threepio) and that by too much connective tissue, made the Galaxy seem "smaller"? I absolutely love that Rey doesn't even have a last name. Puts her right up there with Yoda. Do we need to know who Yoda's parents are? Wouldn't his origin story take away, rather than add to the character. They did the right thing with this story point for Rey's parents.

This movie would have been a real slog without the humor. Sort of like the first two acts of Rogue One. This had no more or less humor than Episode 7 or 6 for that matter. Jokes land differently for different people, but it all worked for me.
                      OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! I didn't see it until you wrote this. ......Yoda is Rey's Dad. She has no Mom (Just the Force)

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Originally posted by Brue
                        OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! I didn't see it until you wrote this. ......Yoda is Rey's Dad. She has no Mom (Just the Force)
                        Rey is the orphan of two dead drunks.

End of (that) story.
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• fallensaviour
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 28, 2006

Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler

Did anybody else notice in the last scene with the little boy and the broom,did he use the force to pull the broom to him or was I seeing things?

The absolute biggest thing to bother me about the entirety of Star Wars is why do they have academies with children when apparently all the best Jedi in the universe only train for a day or two.
                          In this movie yoda tells Luke Rey already know everything she needs and doesn’t need all the ancient Jedi teachings.
                          She trained for a day...lol
                          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

Spoiler
                            Spoiler
                            Spoiler
                            Spoiler
                            Spoiler
                            Spoiler

I don't understand the criticism of Rey's brief training. Luke's was hardly extensive. I had the impression that both had such a natural affinity for the Force that their training was more about accepting The Force and believing in it. Their powers came from that and a normal, formal training wasn't needed.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                              Spoiler
                              Spoiler
                              Spoiler
                              Spoiler
                              Spoiler
                              Spoiler
                              Spoiler
                              Spoiler
                              Spoiler
                              Spoiler

Did anybody else notice in the last scene with the little boy and the broom,did he use the force to pull the broom to him or was I seeing things?

The absolute biggest thing to bother me about the entirety of Star Wars is why do they have academies with children when apparently all the best Jedi in the universe only train for a day or two.
                              In this movie yoda tells Luke Rey already know everything she needs and doesn’t need all the ancient Jedi teachings.
                              She trained for a day...lol
                              Snoke explained it in the movie. Rey was yin to Kylo Ren's yang. Smoke expected it to be Luke. The Force has to keep balance, so as Ren got more powerful, so did Rey without even realizing it was happening.

I imagine there haven't been any Jedi academies since Anakin destroyed the one in Episode 3. Why would there be?

Yoda told Luke that Rey already had everything she needed because he knew she had stolen the ancient Jedi books and taken off already. This had happened before Luke went to burn down the tree.
                              Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Dec 20, '17, 12:14 PM.
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                                valar morghulis
                                • Mar 8, 2005

Spoiler
                                Spoiler
                                Spoiler
                                Spoiler
                                Spoiler
                                Spoiler

The Half in the Bag guys have their review up. I agree with a lot of it. Saw the movie yesterday morning, and it just didn't engage me.

Last edited by Sideshow Spock; Dec 20, '17, 2:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎