Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

the other thing that bothered me, I forgot to mention, was that in Force Awakens, Kylo Ren recognizes Rey in the forest...says something along the lines of "it is you". they completely negate that in this movie, although it may still be explained in the next one. I don't buy that she just suddenly can command the force like that and still believe there were repressed memories

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by enyawd72
      I find the comment about Star Wars being "Marvelized" by Disney particularly humorous, since the film felt very much to me like a 70's Marvel Star Wars comic. And I LOVED every minute of it.
      Lots of folks are digging the tone of TLJ; some are not. Doesn't make one right and the other wrong. Art is subjective so no need to dis another opinion. Just to clarify, By "Marvelization", I mean the light quipy one-liners that sometimes undermine the drama being presented. I know Star Wars has always had humor, but this one had quite a bit more than usual. Rian Johnson said it would and he knew what he was going for.

I'm a Star Wars fan; enjoyed every single movie so far, including this one. Just pointing some things out in this latest chapter that some others have noticed too.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by YoungOnce
        Lots of folks are digging the tone of TLJ; some are not. Doesn't make one right and the other wrong. Art is subjective so no need to dis another opinion. Just to clarify, By "Marvelization", I mean the light quipy one-liners that sometimes undermine the drama being presented. I know Star Wars has always had humor, but this one had quite a bit more than usual. Rian Johnson said it would and he knew what he was going for.

I'm a Star Wars fan; enjoyed every single movie so far, including this one. Just pointing some things out in this latest chapter that some others have noticed too.
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers
        spoilers

Not dissing anything. Just pointing out that Star Wars had already been "Marvelized" right from the beginning in 1977. In fact, in one particular issue of the comic, "Death Probe" Luke uses the Force to fly himself and Artoo through space after his X-Wing is blown up. So the Leia scene which surprised so many fans had in fact already been done decades earlier.

Comment

• Godzilla
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 3, 2002

Spolier
          Spoiler
          Spoiler
          Spoiler
          Spoiler

I appreciated how the movie was really about failure and redemption. I found it refreshing that my heroes all had shortcomings they had to overcome. I loved the background on Rey's family and the lack of info on Snoke.
          Mortui Vivos Docent
          The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Brue
            User without title
            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            Spoiler
            Spoiler
            Spoiler
            Spoiler
            Spoiler
            Spoiler
            Spoiler

I think part of the problem here is that they did not have a storyline for a trilogy. they are making it up as they go.
            They definitely had a whole trilogy penned before The
            once Awakens. It is a re-envisioning of the original. The story of Rey's Journey and the redemption of Kylo with massive parallels carefully mapped out.

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              spoiler
              Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              the other thing that bothered me, I forgot to mention, was that in Force Awakens, Kylo Ren recognizes Rey in the forest...says something along the lines of "it is you". they completely negate that in this movie, although it may still be explained in the next one. I don't buy that she just suddenly can command the force like that and still believe there were repressed memories
              More evidence to back up my claim that they are siblings. Kylo Ren Lied to her in this one.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 18, 2007

Spoiler
                Spoiler
                Spoiler
                Spoiler
                Spoiler
                Spoiler
                Spoiler

The fight scene with Ben Solo and Rey was awesome. That's the twins from the books that I remember. I also feel the two are brother and sister, and have from the beginning. They easily conversed with each other, just as Leia and Luke did. That cinched it for me. Kylo Lied. He's a bad guy that's what they do. Why would Kylo try so hard to get a junk dealers daughter to his side. SIBLINGS!!

I didn't feel the connection with any other characters in this movie. It didn't feel like they made connections with each other. Not like when Han solo was in the last film. You felt his connection with Rey. You felt His connection with everyone. Luke didn't have that.
                I kept waiting for Leia to die heroically. never happened. Her superman moment was a little cheesey. Now Han and Luke are gone, but Mark and Harrison are available, but Carrie is gone and we still have her running the rebellion. Weird
                I didn't feel the attachment to the new characters or planets like I have in the past movies. It bounced around a lot from sub plot to sub plot, not giving you time to make a valid connection.
                If Luke stayed on that island much longer we would have seen another new species. How did that rock support so many species? You had the caretakers that came out of no where, the Porgs which wer cool. (loved the chewie scene) then the milk bearing walrus creatures. Not to mention Luke and Rey.
                I was glad to see Snoke cut down, that's what the apprentice has to do to be the new #1, but I would have liked to have found out something about him first. no character advancement there.
                The only character that really made any progress was Rey, and that was by unbelievable leaps and bound.

I really liked the movie. I'm gonna go see it again to look for the little things I missed the first time. I got chills when the music and the scroll started. I just kept whispering Do it, do it, until that first amazing not trebled out.........ooooohhhh yeah.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Kylo Ren has really grown on me. I may actually like him more than Vader...blasphemy I know. But I think he is in fact more powerful than Vader was. We've already seen him do stuff Vader couldn't do...stopping laser blasts in mid-air?

He's younger, just as conflicted, and FAR angrier and more unstable. The dude is dangerous.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i would also lean towards Rey being Ren's sister, except for the fact that Luke did not know who she was and neither did Han or Leia

Comment

• phil
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 11, 2007

Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler
                      Spoiler

I really hope Rey has no connection to any of the other characters. I think it makes her more interesting. This movie makes it clear that Ren is beyond reemption and I hope that remains the case. We've already seen the redemption story with Vader. Something different would be nice.

Comment

• Goblin19
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 2, 2002

Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler
                        Spoiler

I think it makes sense that Rey comes from nothing if they are headed toward the rebellion being built on every day people, which I think they are. This movie has s lot of instances pointing out that average people are doing the heroic things, right down to the last scene with the little boy and the broom.

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          SPoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler
                          Spoiler

I don't know if this qualifies as a Spoiler but I wonder when or if the original story for Episode IX will be made known. The version that was prepared before the director was fired and Abrams was brought back.How much of The Last Jedi was meant to lead into a movie that will never be made?

Comment

• Gadgeteer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 16, 2014

spoiler
                            spoiler
                            spoiler
                            spoiler
                            spoiler
                            spoiler
                            spoiler
                            spoiler
                            spoiler

I am so glad Nien Nunb made it to the end of this one...hope he Wedges this Trilogy.
                            Oh and Vyvyan from the Young Ones was great as the First Orders Captain Peavey.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

spoilers
                              spoilers
                              spoilers
                              spoilers
                              spoilers
                              spoilers
                              spoilers
                              spoilers
                              spoilers
                              spoilers
                              spoilers
                              spoilers

I thought TFA was ok, I liked it, but I felt that this was the amount of humor SW can handle without becoming a sequel to Spaceballs. Last Jedi crosses that line, jumps over it, does a happy dance, and adds a couple of fart jokes.
                              I thought most of the humor was out of place and spoiled any chance of real drama. It was a poorly written trainwreck, by a writer-director who wanted to make a spoof. I just can't see it any other way.
                              Most of the characters that worked in part one are not used correctly, do things they wouldn't do. Finn just runs around doing nothing. Most of them have lame dialog.
                              The plot (and a lot of the dialog) has been lifted from ESB and ROTJ, sometimes word for word. It's as if someone googled "SW Greatest Hits" and threw it together in one script. "We want Walkers in the snow, and an Emperor, and cute furry things, ....."

They have many chances to give Leia a heroic death, but they don't use any of that. Don't even get me started on Super Leia. They kill off all characters except the one of which the actress has died, and cannot return for a sequel.

And personally: I grew up with Luke. I felt we grew up together, going through the cycles of life. And now, after waiting over 30 years, they quickly kill him off in one movie. I couldn't be more disappointed.
                              Sorry for the fans of this movie, but I hated what they did to my beloved saga.
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                                spoilers
                                spoilers
                                spoilers
                                spoilers
                                spoilers
                                spoilers
                                spoilers
                                spoilers
                                spoilers
                                spoilers
                                spoilers
                                spoilers

And personally: I grew up with Luke. I felt we grew up together, going through the cycles of life. And now, after waiting over 30 years, they quickly kill him off in one movie. I couldn't be more disappointed.
                                Sorry for the fans of this movie, but I hated what they did to my beloved saga.
                                Yup...you just summed up my feelings on this perfectly.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎