Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

I didn't love it. Just saw it. I loved Force Awakens. Yeah, I get that it was essentially a remake of Star Wars tonally, but it clicked. I liked all the new characters, it was fun, never dragged, and built up to this epic climax where we finally get to see Luke Skywalker again.

Unfortunately, that film seemed to be a set up for a movie we didn't get. This movie was essentially a whole lotta nothing. 2 1/2 hours of the most anticlimactic space battle where nothing happens, side plots take up 20-30 min chunks but ultimately mean nothing to the story. The new characters were bad. That Rose girl was annoying (I liked her sister's brief scene but that was it), Stuttering thief wasn't cool, and Finn did nothing the whole movie. He was such an engaging character last time, but this time he literally did less than C-3P0 in terms of importance. And then we finally see Luke ready to do something and he basically does nothing and then just dies. It was a real let down. It seemed like they were desperate to have a "Han Solo" moment in this film... But they kinda had one already written for them. Leia has been a pretty underwhelming character since forever and Fisher's roles in the recent film haven't been very good, so since she's dead in real life it only made sense to kill her off in the film and do so in a dramatic way that makes her "relight the hope" and give her character a good sendoff and a happy moment in sadness for Leia fans.

Instead they keep her alive, presumably to give her some off screen death in the next film and kill off Luke in a very unmemorable way.

And while I wasn't big on Snoke, it would have been nice to know something, ANYTHING about him before killing him off.

Even if Fisher was still alive, I'd not be happy with her surviving and Luke dying because she's done nothing in these recent films. She looks old, sounded haggard and couldn't really inspire much. She was okay in scenes where she just stared ominously, but beyond that she wasn't bringing much. Luke wasn't great in this, but there was potential there for him to do some fun stuff. But instead he just disappears.

Maybe he's not dead. I mean, this movie introduced a bunch of band new Jedi powers, like Jedi-Facetime, Jedi Virtual Reality, so maybe Luke used another new power where he disappears or something but I came away very "meh" from this one. And I liked Force Awakens and Rogue One. So it's not like I hate the new movies. But this was just very "meh" all across the board for me.

Comment

• mikeMc6
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 24, 2012

Force Awakens I went opening night
      ..Last Jedi I went on day 4 of release...next installment I will get around to it eventually...
      INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
      WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎