X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Netflix price hike

11 bucks now? Sorry, its not worth that at all. Cancelled today. The really lame part is they billed me and notified me of the price hike right after billing so I a, locked in for a month.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I saw a little notice when I logged in a few weeks ago.

Netflix isn't what it used to be, for sure. They've lost a lot of the stuff that once made it great.

We signed up for a trial for Hulu, and basically all the old TV stuff is over there. So we may ditch Netflix and keep Hulu.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I have Hulu for new episodes of stuff as I can't get over the air here, and CW is free. Hulu also get a lot of movies, so its Bubye Netflix. I just don't see the value there anymore. I can live without the Marvel shows, and Stranger Things is just fan service to Spielberg so its not all that.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

We signed up for Hulu also, and we are giving Movie Pass a try... so maybe we don't need Netflix either. My teen daughter may be watching more than we do though.

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

Netflix's business model is changing. They're moving from being providers of other's content to making their own. They really have to do that, because studios like Disney/Fox/Lucasfilm/Marvel/etc, Comcast, and CBS/Paramount/Viacom have already either started or announced their own streaming service. In a fairly short period of time, Netflix wouldn't have much to offer. Producing their own stuff is also risky and expensive.

So to me $2.75 per week is fine. The ugly part is paying multiple companies a fee, especially when they have only one show (I'm looking at you CBS Total Access) that I care about.

I suspect we'll see a big shake out a couple of years down the road.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

^^ I get that, but a lot of the original programming there I can live without.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Netflix was alot better 3 years ago, I watched McMillan and wife and the last season of Mission impossible. Now all those shows are gone.
              Hulu has ads but I like there content better.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                valar morghulis
                • Mar 8, 2005

I basically only subscribe to Netflix FOR their original content at this point. I can barely even keep up with all their excellent shows (just finished Glow, starting Godless, that sort of thing), and I'm not even talking about the Marvel offerings. And I love all the British stuff they bring over, such as The Queen and Broadchurch, just to name a couple. The occasional movie and vintage content is just a bonus..

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                  Netflix was alot better 3 years ago, I watched McMillan and wife and the last season of Mission impossible. Now all those shows are gone.
                  Hulu has ads but I like there content better.
                  I've never seen the last season of McMillan and Wife ... Was it any good ??? Liked the original seasons but hate the idea of killing her off

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                    I basically only subscribe to Netflix FOR their original content at this point. I can barely even keep up with all their excellent shows (just finished Glow, starting Godless, that sort of thing), and I'm not even talking about the Marvel offerings. And I love all the British stuff they bring over, such as The Queen and Broadchurch, just to name a couple. The occasional movie and vintage content is just a bonus..
                    Agreed.

After watching Stranger Things and The Punisher. I started watching the last season of Longmire...I love that show. And after that, I’m watching a German series called DARK...said to be similar to Stranger Things...and it’s being hailed by critics...

I too, like you, can hardly keep up with all these original cool shows.

I also just watched Captain America Civil War and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 on Netflix.

I love Netflix...$11 a month is nothing...basically an In N Out Double Double/Fries/Soda/Shake meal, lol.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

I don’t have Hulu.

$8 a month.

What original shows they have?

I’m not into old TV shows...so that would not be interesting to me.

Their movie inventory looks about the same as Netflix.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
                        Wake Up Heavy
                        • Jan 31, 2010

Dark isn't really all that similar to Stranger Things, other than part of it takes place in the '80s. It's more akin to foreign series' like Jordskott or The Valley. It is good though.

Will be keeping Netflix because of shows like Dark and ST and Mindhunter, etc. I figure if I, or my wife and I, watch two or three things a month on Netflix it's worth it. And we watch way more than that. I'm finding it harder to justify holding onto Hulu. Rarely watch anything on there. New shows aren't a draw because we have cable, and I don't watch any of the old stuff they have on there. Their movie selection is the worst of any of the streaming services I currently subscribe to, especially now that they don't have the Criterion Collection. Still, I find one or two things to watch every month so it's still worth holding onto.
                        Last edited by Iron Mego; Dec 11, '17, 1:56 PM.
                        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Mikey
                          I've never seen the last season of McMillan and Wife ... Was it any good ??? Liked the original seasons but hate the idea of killing her off
                          TBH I don't remember much about it. John Schuck's character said something like "I'm surprised how well Mac is bouncing back from losing his wife and child in the plane crash a few months ago. "
                          Mac had a different date in each episode for the last season.

Joanna Cameron was even in an episode but I think that was season 4 or 5.

Comment

• warlock664
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 15, 2009

I'll have to respectfully disagree; I think $11 is a bargain for what I get. I watch the Marvel shows, Stranger Things, some British shows, 11 seasons of Cheers... and all commercial free. And when May/June arrives, I'll watch the current seasons of Arrow, Flash and Legends of Tomorrow that I can't catch weekly.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

I get CW stuff next day on the Roku CW app, so don't need that from Netflix either.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎