• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Unpopular opinion: SCTV was funnier than SNL

This still makes me laugh.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I do like both but I think SCTV is generally under appreciated for what it was and SNL tends to get over romanticized, especially the Belushi years which haven't aged all too well.

It's very early in the show but John Candy's Paul Fistinyerface always makes me laugh.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
      especially the Belushi years which haven't aged all too well.
      I agree. Sure SCTV had some stinker skits as well but it has aged A LOT better overall.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

70s SNL is kind of painful. Very much a product of the cocaine fueled era. There are some funny bits, though, and it's leaps ahead of Laugh In.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Big fan of both but here's my opinion.

SNL was/is what used to be referred to as a variety show -- Basically Donny and Marie for adults

SCTV never pretended to be this -- SCTV was more of a standard sitcom on steroids ... From what I've read similar to Rutland Weekend Television in the UK.

Both were great, but too dissimilar to do a fair best show poll imo

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

My favorite to this day is In Living Color...everybody on that show was freaking hilarious.

Sadly in today's PC climate most of the skits they did would probably never fly today.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
              I agree. Sure SCTV had some stinker skits as well but it has aged A LOT better overall.
              Yeah the expansion to 90 minutes took it's toll on the show for sure, I just kind of find the show pleasant to watch these days.

I wish somebody would release it to a streaming service....

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Would you like some more...pancakes!?

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

If I had to pick between the two my heart's with SCTV.

BUT I do think one of the things people tend to overlook when criticizing SNL is that it's a FREAKIN' LIVE SHOW, which (for me) makes it really hard to compare with other shows. To me it's like arguing that live music is better/worse than recorded music. I think there's advantages and disadvantages to both and there's all kinds of variables or whatever that factor in.

I think Belushi is over-romanticized, because he died, but I also feel like maybe we can't properly revisit his best SNL stuff in re-runs. I think the thing with him is that he would walk out on a stage on live national TV (which was a much bigger deal at that time) and nobody knew what was going to happen, you know?

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
                    BUT I do think one of the things people tend to overlook when criticizing SNL is that it's a FREAKIN' LIVE SHOW, which (for me) makes it really hard to compare with other shows. To me it's like arguing that live music is better/worse than recorded music. I think there's advantages and disadvantages to both and there's all kinds of variables or whatever that factor in.
                    Yeah, that's totally fair. They're both sketch comedy shows so I guess that's where it stems from but the format is apples to oranges.

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

I'm loving these videos, Werewolf!

One of my favourites is Martin Short doing Jackie Rogers Sr. singing outside and he gets eaten by a cougar at the end.

I really wish I could find it, but I can only find a short clip of it re-used near the end of this Jackie Rogers Jr. skit:

Last edited by Brazoo; Dec 12, '17, 3:59 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

I'll always have a soft spot for the Happy Wanderers ....

My favorite SCTV schtick of all time.

m

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

They're both sketch comedy shows so I guess that's where it stems...
                          And leaders of their era who have crossover family-treed actors.... I'm sure there's more of a connection if I thought about it more.

I do like both but I think SCTV is generally under appreciated for what it was ...
                          Totally. Highly unique. Intriguingly ambitious.

SCTV was almost a live-action Muppets in tone (with less of a "family-audience" bent).

I love it... and utilize that mindset creatively when I get the opportunity.

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          Unpopular opinion: SCTV was funnier than SNL
                          Here's something even crazier:

McKenzie Bros are better than anything SNL ever birthed (including Blues Brothers, Wayne's World.... you name it)
                          Last edited by huedell; Dec 12, '17, 2:07 PM.
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

I loved SCTV! Not so much SNL. I can't believe it's still on the air.

Comment

• comicmike
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 22, 2009

SCTV's Andrea Martin. Honest. Forever. The best. "Pirini Sclorosso" was funny, but "Edith Prickley" was Fillarious!!!!! Although I recall Andrea saying once saying she tired being asked to do her character anymore, I never tired from watching the Edith acts.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎