X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Blow Mold Christmas Extravaganza

Steve's 70s Christmas goodness post inspired me to share my exterior illumination photos. I've become increasingly obsessed with holiday blow molds in the last few years, and a few weeks ago my lovely wife came up a great vintage lot for the low-low price of $50. I got a really old Santa, an early 70s snowman, and an early issue of the familiar nativity set. I added them to my growing collection and I'm really happy with the retro kitsch feel I get every time I pull into my drive way at night.

I love the vibrant, clown-like colors on this snowman! I've seen this mold before, but never in these colors.

This Santa had a cracked base,but an old knock-off frisbee and some white electrical tape got him back into service. Love the brown/gray in his beard for variety.

The lighting set-up in Mary and Joseph is very different than most of my blow molds. It's like there's a full lamp running from the bottom to top.

The first exterior blow mold I ever got when I was back in high school in the 90s.

A few more shots of my exterior illumination setup for the year!

I'll post some pics of my interior blow molds later.

Chris
    Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Dec 9, '17, 10:44 PM.
    sigpic
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Wowzers! What a nice collection. Looks great all lit up.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

Love it! My front lawn is covered in these as well.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Those are fantastic! What a display!

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

Great post. I miss the days when I would see those everywhere.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks! I have seen quite a few more blow molds in use this year. Maybe I'm noticing them because I'm really looking for them, but either way it's more than I recall seeing in years.

Here's our interior collection, plus a few other vintage Christmas knick-nacks along with them.

I got this one this summer at a yard sale for a $1! I couldn't pay the woman fast enough.

I've had this one for several years now. Not sure where he originated from.

This little guy is a new addition as well. I picked him up at a Goodwill! He still has his bright and shiny UL rated sticker on the back!

These are the two oldest decorations in use at my house. The Santa face belonged to my grandparents, where we'd do our big Christmas Eve gift-giving and have Christmas Day dinner. It hung on their front door.

The Santa figure belong to my mom, and my grandparents had an identical one as well. He's made of a really hard plastic, and his feet are cracked and patched up with black electric tape. He's full of pennies to weigh him down. But I wouldn't trade him for a brand new version. No way.

Got this ceramic lighted tree at an estate sale. These have really made a comeback this year! Cindy and our daughter glazed and decorated one at a local pottery store.

Our Playing Mantis Rankin/Bass figures surround the tree that belong to Cindy's grandmother. It's HUGE! I love the snow on it.

This Telco Santa motionette is from the early 90s when Wal-Mart was stocked full of these! You barely see them now. The blue Santa my mom made with TV Guides for the bottom. She made several like that over the years.

The village in the middle and the little white tree with blue birds was made by a local artist who was friends with my mom and sold stuff through the Hallmark store Mom managed. My dad still has my mom's copy, but this one belonged to my grandparents.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Very cool !!!

Only thing, Jesus needs some sort of bedding.

As is, he looks very uncomfortable

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                valar morghulis
                • Mar 8, 2005

This one looks like an evil snowman who just finished digging a grave

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Yes !!!

Or an old Lost In Space style evil alien

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock

Comment

• Bravestarr
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Mar 26, 2017

Wow neat stuff

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Ok, don't ask me why but I have the ELO song Evil Woman - with woman replaced by Snowman - stuck in my head

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Thumbs WAAYY up! I salute you for your excellent taste in Christmas decorating! (I'm also envious! You've got some real treasures in there!) Well done, sir!

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Nice stuff, they look great all lit up. I might have to start looking for some of these.

Now I'm waiting for a certain someone to post pics of the blow molded decorations that I've witnessed him buy during this year.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

Super retro Christmas goodness! That's pretty awesome Chris.
                            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

Nice! I gave my ceramic trees a break this year, but they are faves. I especially like your clowny snowman.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎