Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And....THIS is why the Post Office is losing money.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warlock664
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
    Yeah, it makes perfect sense to ship something hundreds of miles PAST it's destination then back again.
    You're absolutely right.
    What they should do is send out each package in its own delivery vehicle, sent directly to its final destination. And then, if you're not home, they should put the parcel in a container that you've set outside your house and labeled "put packages here".
    Just because something makes no sense to you, it doesnt mean it isn't the most economical and efficient solution to deliver thousands of parcels daily. People with a lot more experience than you (or I) in mail delivery came up with the system.

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

Respectfully, stop thinking in terms of a single package and how it should come from point A to point B and imagine the sum total of all packages being shipped. Focusing on one package will always make the route look wrong. It is the sum total of all packages being sent that creates the most efficient route for all of the packages being sent. The most efficient route for a single package would also make the total cost equal the mileage on the vehicle along with the salary plus benefits for the driver....coming and going. Yes, that's right....a route is figured not only for what is going, but also what is coming back. It would be a total waste to bring a run without taking something back, right?. The local Postie doesn't drop off your mail and then have another Postie come pick up your outgoing mail. It's drop off this and pick up that to eventually drop off somewhere else.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

[CENTER]What! Who the Hell is running this show!?

Sorry sir but we've been having problems in our sorting and shipping department, but I just hired three new
        men and everything's going to be all right now....I hope.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Makernaut
          Respectfully, stop thinking in terms of a single package and how it should come from point A to point B and imagine the sum total of all packages being shipped. Focusing on one package will always make the route look wrong. It is the sum total of all packages being sent that creates the most efficient route for all of the packages being sent. The most efficient route for a single package would also make the total cost equal the mileage on the vehicle along with the salary plus benefits for the driver....coming and going. Yes, that's right....a route is figured not only for what is going, but also what is coming back. It would be a total waste to bring a run without taking something back, right?. The local Postie doesn't drop off your mail and then have another Postie come pick up your outgoing mail. It's drop off this and pick up that to eventually drop off somewhere else.
          Great points...

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by warlock664
            And then, if you're not home, they should put the parcel in a container that you've set outside your house and labeled "put packages here".
            Actually, the real question is, why wouldn't they use the package bin after I went to the trouble of providing it? It takes no more effort to use it than tossing parcels on the ground right next to it so they can get rained on for hours.
            I love spending my hard earned money on expensive, sometimes irreplaceable vintage toys and models only to have them get ruined when it would have been EFFORTLESS to protect them using the bin I provided.

Maybe if it was YOUR money you'd feel differently. I'm betting if you came home to a soggy vintage carded Mego you'd care.
            Last edited by enyawd72; Dec 11, '17, 1:18 AM.

Comment

• warlock664
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
              Actually, the real question is, why wouldn't they use the package bin after I went to the trouble of providing it? It takes no more effort to use it than tossing parcels on the ground right next to it so they can get rained on for hours.
              I love spending my hard earned money on expensive, sometimes irreplaceable vintage toys and models only to have them get ruined when it would have been EFFORTLESS to protect them using the bin I provided.

Maybe if it was YOUR money you'd feel differently. I'm betting if you came home to a soggy vintage carded Mego you'd care.
              Maybe I'm just lucky to have good carriers in my area. Believe me, I've had plenty of expensive parcels left in inclement weather when nobody was home, but never had any major issues. Typically my carrier will place the parcel in a large plastic bag to protect it. I also have a concrete bench that sits against the house next to the garage, and they often leave them under that which also protects them.
              Mind you, though, this isn't the same as them opening an actual container, placing the parcel inside, and replacing the lid: according to rules you can read on their website, they can/will only leave mail in USPS-approved containers. I'm sure history has necessitated this to protect them from bizarre claims of some sort from the wackos of the world. And if they accommodated you with your (admittedly) rational request , would they then have to also accommodate delivery requests of a less rational nature?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Ah, the Saga of the Unused Package Bin. It is a paradox that shall never be solved, much like the conundrum of Why Batgirl '66 Had Two Neck-Holes.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎