• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filmation batman fan
    The Man of Many Voices
    • Aug 30, 2005

Why did they stop?!!!

This question refers to two things.

Ever since Superman: The Movie in 1978, there have always been souvenir books of the Super Hero movies and paperback novelizations.

But I noticed starting in 2008, there were no longer souvenir movie books on Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, or the Dark Knight.

And now, starting with Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, there are no more paperback novelizations of these movies. I haven't seen a paperback of a Super Hero movie since Man of Steel. I haven't seen paperbacks of Wonder Woman or Suicide Squad, and will probably not likely be a Justice League paperback.

So this bears the question. WHY DID THEY STOP ?!!!

Anyone have any theories?

Just curious.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Same reason so many of our beloved magazines are gone...nobody reads print anymore. Marvel and DC have been pretty upfront with the fact their printed comics make them zero money...in fact they are a huge loss. Only the movies and merchandising keep them going.
    I expect actual printed comics to disappear completely someday. Remember Wizard? Toyfare? Comics Scene, Starlog, Fangoria...never thought I'd see the day when they were all gone. Then there was the short lived Shadowland Magazine I painted the covers for...it only lasted ten issues and went belly up despite people saying how great it was.

It's a shame, because I love books, comics and magazines. I still have so many of those you mention. Maybe it will turn around...we can always hope.

Comment

• Red Hulk
      Career Member
      • Dec 19, 2012

There is a Wonder Woman movie novel.I saw few of them at Wal-Mart around the time the movie came out.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Yep, the Internet is not-so-slowly killing everything in it’s path. Print media, board games, even brick and mortar stores. The Bible speaks about the Number of The Beast; who knows, maybe that number is an IP address...
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• comicmike
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 22, 2009

Re:

I used to love the paperback novelizations particularly when some lost movie details would be better highlighted in the written stories

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

Here's the paperback novel of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.

I kid, but I do miss the novels of some movies as they often filled in the gaps or made sense of things that weren't explained well in the films.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

I love movie novelizations, too. Still have quite a collection of 70s and 80s ones...
              There are definitely fewer of them these days, but the bigger releases often still get novelizations... sometimes in both adult and junior readers' versions.
              (Wonder Woman had both):

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Dec 12, '17, 7:46 AM.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎