Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barbie: 1970

Images
    It's not really comparable. The 60s Gi Joes were generic soldiers. Barbie (Barbara Millicent Roberts) and Ken (Kenneth Carson) were characters with names and back stories. Barbie was not just the name of the line but also the main character. Starting 1980 Mattel did start releasing African American versions of Barbie and Ken along with Christie and Brad.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Dec 6, '17 at 1:32 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that actually makes sense and something I never really considered.

Funny, Barbie and Joe sort of went in opposite directions. Barbie became to mean more than a blonde woman and Joe became a team of characters.

Images
    Yeah, Barbie had a pretty fleshed out backstory. Her parents are George and Margaret Roberts and her little sister is Skipper. She grew up in the fictional town of Willows Wisconsin with her best friend Midge Hadley.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Seems weird it took so long to make an official black Barbie considering Hasbro made their black Joe in 1964 ... I think ?
    1965 actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    It's not really comparable. The 60s Gi Joes were generic soldiers.
    It is worth noting that the prototypes were given names, though, before they moved on to the "GI JOE" name. "Skip" was the Navy Frogman, "Rocky" for the Marine Paratrooper, and "Ace", the Fighter Pilot.

Images
    Well, Ace made it into RAH, and Rocky...well, Rocky Balboa ALMOST made it into RAH...

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Barbie (Barbara Millicent Roberts) and Ken (Kenneth Carson) were characters with names and back stories.
    Whoa, I had no idea that they were given full names, mind blown!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjefferys View Post
    Whoa, I had no idea that they were given full names, mind blown!
    It is pretty cool.

As I understand it, there is still a loose continuity in the Barbie line.

The dolls in Barbie Fashionistas line (of different body styles, hair colors, etc.) are official "Barbies" and "Kens" but they are not THE Barbie (Barbara Millicent Roberts) and THE Ken (Kenneth Carson). The original Barbie character still exists and is the main Barbie used in the various cartoons and promotions used for the brand. Same with Ken.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Really ? ... I don't think I've ever seen a brown molded standard Joe ... Now I gotta go look for pics
    I have a replica of one in my Masterpiece Edition. I got one of the very first ones released.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyGirl View Post
    I have a replica of one in my Masterpiece Edition. I got one of the very first ones released.
    I have to say I like newly sculpted version way better --- To me the brown molded regular version doesn't give an African American feel at all -- if anything, he looks like an Indian (from India)

BTW, am I the only person that thinks the newly sculpted African American version resembles Paul Winfield ?
    .................................................. .......................