X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

$$$: Comic Action Heroes vs. Pocket Heroes

I'm pretty much done collecting Mego 8" figures but considering another line.

Is there a consensus about the affordability of Comic Action vs. Pocket figures?

In my opinion, Comic Action has the advantage of a few more characters I like. Advice appreciated, thanks.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

The Comic Action Heroes figures are a little bit more of a PITA when it comes to getting complete figures. Those orange bases are a real PITA and 9 times out of 10 you need to find carded CAH figures in order to get them complete. Don't know if that helps or hinders what your next move will be. Either way...good luck.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Pockets are cheaper because yeah, less characters and less stuff. Still some tough stuff in the line but probably 20% more satisfying?

I love them both so you really can't go wrong.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

The white-card Pocket heroes are nice, I already have an Aquaman. Maybe I'll mix sets/lines, as I'm not really concerned about packaging.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• starsky
          veteran member
          • Aug 26, 2007

i like em both as well. i'm not really into the packaging stuff either.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

I'm so envious that you have the courage to take this plunge. Maybe one day, but I am completely biased in favor of CAH over PH. They were the originals, and they're just so quirky with that wacky stance, attractive card art/logo, and the uniformity of the bases. Ugh, the more I think about them, the more I'd like to do it. Which ones are most scarce?

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

^ Well Andy, I haven't really plunged yet. I have a CA Penguin and a Pocket Aquaman. But I'm missing Mego, and these smaller figures seem more approachable than the 12" offerings.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

The "action" pose of the CAH just kill me.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

Love the CAH line. They were the first action figures I ever collected as a kid. Over the years I've managed to reacquire a full set of the loose figures (only missing Green Goblin's satchel)... I'll probably start to acquire them all carded next year.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

I mostly collect the CAH but the PH are fun too. CAH Cap is #3 in my all time Top 3 Megos ever made. Been trying to find a loose complete PH Cap, but they get pricey. Last one I bid on (with a beater PH Bats) sold for about $170.

One of my fondest Mego memories involved a CAH figure. I was a 4th grader and could not get to sleep Christmas Eve. As an only child, my parents kinda spoiled me with toys (which created the monster that types this post), so Christmas Eve always got me fired up. My Mother gave me half a sleeping pill; nothing. I decided to deal with her: I promise to go to bed if I could open up just 1 gift tonight. She said no. The dealing turned to groveling and she caved in. I randomly picked up a small gift, which ended up being CAH Aquaman. Slept good that night.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I like that story, and I admire Mego's lil' Caps, too. I love that you received Aquaman. Nice collection, too.

I have a somewhat similar tale. In 1979 or '80, I was over the moon with Reb Brown as Cap in the TV movies. (Still my favorite TV Marvel.) I saw Mego Cap in a catalogue--probably JCPenney, we did a lot of catalogue shopping--and I wheedled and whined to Mom about the figure. Near Christmas, I eyed the plié of wrapped presents and opened what I suspected was Cap. It was, and I got caught, but she let me have it early.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 8, '17, 12:00 AM.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

That beautiful picture makes me want to spend money.

Comment

• LordMudd
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 22, 2011

In my opinion the PH Aquaman is the best figure of both lines, and this has nothing to do with it being Aquaman. It is just the cleanest and best paint apps they ever did in this line. I prefer the aesthetic of the PH because it goes better with other lines, but Penguin and Green Goblin should have been kept in CAH style, just look better with bent knees if you are not giving them knee joints. CM and Joker needed to be done for PH.

CCC.

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

Like Brian said you can't go wrong with either.

In fact, I just recently completed my carded set of Comic Actions. I still need 2 Pockets on the white cards (Cap and Goblin).
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎