X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Old custom figures

I was doing some organizing today and unearthed some very old customs I made 20 some years ago... and they are an EYESORE!! They're so bad, I wouldn't display them in the barn. The horses would get sick!

So what to do? Parts of them are ok, they have original bodies, hand sewn outfits that aren't too bad, fairly lame handmade accessories, and godawful sculpy headsculpts!!

Should I take them apart and use the bodies elsewhere? Update the parts I don't like and make them into something I do like? Keep them as is and look at them as a learning experience? I don't know...

What do you guys do with old customs you don't like anymore?
    Expectation is the death of discovery.
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Ah, good topic! I have a couple categories…

Some I keep changing over time, meaning I like them enough to make them better. These evolve with improved sculpts, accessories, outfits, etc. and eventually join the permanent collection ranks as finished toys. It may take weeks to several years for them to reach potential.

Another group is lower end, mashed-up beings that have just enough going for them to keep them outta the parts bins, but are temporary in the sense I cannibalize them at will for any bit needed to fix another fig or custom. This is where most of my old customs ended up… no romanticized nostalgia for them anymore. Keeping a few pics is reference enough if I need to re-live my ugly memories.

Lastly, there's also the real-space-consideration. As not all inhabitants can be out frolicking on display, I've become more critical of customs made by myself and others residing in Ape City.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

yeah, upgrade or redo!! We better see some before pics, too. We all have old embarrassing customs buried somewhere in a box.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

BEFORE PIX?!?! That would be embarrassing... and probably worth a laugh!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

How can we make fun of them if you don't post pictures?

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

You're a talented artist, they can't be that bad.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              How can we make fun of them if you don't post pictures?
              That is a good point.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              You're a talented artist, they can't be that bad.
              You'd be surprised!!

Comment

• William Vafai
                Museum Super Collector
                • Oct 14, 2017

Awesome discussion. I like this theme because it's true. Sometimes you're in such a hurry to finish it, you rush the whole thing. I'm already looking at some of my stuff like it needs to be redone. Especially after seeing some of the really great stuff you guys post.

Comment

• scott metzger
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 9, 2007

Honestly, I'd like to see them. I wish I still had some of my primitive customs from when I was a kid, with parts made from construction paper and tape, just for the nostalgia.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎