X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

FTC Bodies vs. Doc Mego Bodies

Years ago (2006-2011) when I was really into customizing my own Megos, I always used Doc Mego bodies and clothing because they were much better than the bodies and clothing from Classic TV Toys. CTVT bodies were smaller and frailer. And CTVT clothing was way too tight on a Doc Mego body.

I haven't held an FTC figure so I don't know if this is still the case. Can anyone educate me?
    Scott
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

The FTC bodies on their newer figures are drastically improved and come in a variety of colors now. I prefer Doc Mego bodies for some things, and FTC for others.

Comment

• David Lee
      The Fix-it-up Chappie
      • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by Action Martin
      Years ago (2006-2011) when I was really into customizing my own Megos, I always used Doc Mego bodies and clothing because they were much better than the bodies and clothing from Classic TV Toys. CTVT bodies were smaller and frailer. And CTVT clothing was way too tight on a Doc Mego body.

I haven't held an FTC figure so I don't know if this is still the case. Can anyone educate me?
      There is a third alternative... My body, the Type-S, is the closest to the vintage MEGO Type-2 in size.

http://www.8inchsuperstore.com/type-s-retro-body/

Comment

• Teemu
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by David Lee
        There is a third alternative... My body, the Type-S, is the closest to the vintage MEGO Type-2 in size.

Which is the best body out there hands down

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

I've experienced success and failure with the three above bodies. Boils down to preference (and price). All will do the trick.
          My favourite is still to repurpose an original if I can.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

The originale are nostalgia so if possibile I like to get those for customs, but if I want something more mordern, IMO that is The type S bodies without question.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Brown Bear
              I've experienced success and failure with the three above bodies. Boils down to preference (and price). All will do the trick.
              My favourite is still to repurpose an original if I can.
              I do, too.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

Never heard of it - looks interesting!

Comment

• BATMAN89
                  Mego obsessed!!!
                  • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                  Never heard of it - looks interesting!
                  Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                  My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• scott metzger
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 9, 2007

The Doc Mego bodies are much better made, but there's a problem with the left hip joint. The hip socket for the ball at the top of the thigh is apparently too small/shallow, and the top of the left leg juts out noticeably.

Comment

• Action Martin
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                      The FTC bodies on their newer figures are drastically improved and come in a variety of colors now.
                      That's good to know. Thanks for the information.
                      Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by scott metzger
                        The Doc Mego bodies are much better made, but there's a problem with the left hip joint. The hip socket for the ball at the top of the thigh is apparently too small/shallow, and the top of the left leg juts out noticeably.
                        I never noticed that before.
                        Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 30, 2007

I didn't realize that you were still in business. Haven't gotten a Castaway e-mail in years.
                          Scott

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by scott metzger
                            Yes. If one looks closely at the Emce/BBP pelvis piece, the hip sockets are asymmetrical and this affects the leg posing. I've tried substituting a vintage pelvis and this works well. My biggest complaint with DM bodies is the very tight bands, which deform the soft vinyl of the upper arm and inhibit posing.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎