X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    One could argue Super Powers kinda jumped the shark in series 3 by NOT giving us the obvious Supergirl, Batgirl, Nightwing, Riddler, etc. Made-up characters like Golden Pharaoh and Cyclotron were issued instead, along with the Justice Jogger. A lot of the figures planned for the later waves were far more promising.

Wave 3 of Super Powers had a lot of good characters, so it's hard to blame those two.

This may sound like heresy but I blame wave 2's heavy reliance of the fourth world villains. It wasn't a bad idea but maybe too much at once. The shelves here were clogged with Kalibak, Darkseid and Desaad. They were earth toned and drab. A lot of stores here never ordered much of wave 3.

Also, yeah, silly vehicles nobody ordered.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

The thematic shift of He-Man with the "New Adventures" line did surprise me at the time.
      But not as much as the change in scale to 3.75". One of the things which wowed me when I first saw the original MOTU figures as a kid was their size.
      (I did enjoy the New Adventures cartoon, I'll admit.)
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
        This may sound like heresy but I blame wave 2's heavy reliance of the fourth world villains.
        I totally agree. Wave 2 killed it. Darkseid and his gang were horrendous peg warmers.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
          But not as much as the change in scale to 3.75". One of the things which wowed me when I first saw the original MOTU figures as a kid was their size.
          The NA figures are the same height as MOTU. They were just not as muscular originally. This was changed by the last wave. The NA Thunderpunch He-Man has the original MOTU build and even the twist waist punching action.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I'd tend to agree with what's been said here about Super Powers & MOTU.

But what about Mego WGSH? For me it was Teen Titans. I didn't find out about these until the mid-Eighties as a collector, but their scale and shorty uniforms ticked me off in relation to the classic Robin. TT, instead of Flash, Green Lantern, Luthor, etc? BS I thought. And as a kid, I was so irked that the Superman movie figure were 12" not 8".
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I guess I never thought of the Fourth World characters bringing down SP since they tied so heavily into the cartoon. But yeah, they should have spread that entire villain wave out over two or more series and also gave us Riddler, Bizarro, Cheetah, Sinestro, Captain Cold, etc.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
                The NA figures are the same height as MOTU. They were just not as muscular originally. This was changed by the last wave. The NA Thunderpunch He-Man has the original MOTU build and even the twist waist punching action.
                I guess that's why I mis-remembered them as being shorter.. their overall lack of dynamic muscularity & size.
                They just looked so bland and skinny compared to the original MOTU figures.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  I guess I never thought of the Fourth World characters bringing down SP since they tied so heavily into the cartoon. But yeah, they should have spread that entire villain wave out over two or more series and also gave us Riddler, Bizarro, Cheetah, Sinestro, Captain Cold, etc.

Chris
                  I guess wave 2 didn't help. I was still into the line, however. When the second wave came out with Dr. Fate (apologies to Dr. Fate), etc, they started to lose me. Though, I loved Green Arrow and Firestorm. I just wasn't familiar with a lot of the characters, but I tried to be excited by the wave. Ultimately, I lost interest. By the time wave 3 came out, I had moved on, unfortunately... since it was a pretty nice wave.

Saying that, the first wave was so darn good that I'd revisit my collection time and again and admired it. It brought a smile to my face. Kenner did such a good job with Super Powers!

- Ian
                  Last edited by EmergencyIan; Nov 28, '17, 8:53 PM.
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Doctor Fate was admittedly a bit of an odd choice. He gave me hopes the rest of the JSA would make the line. Sigh.

The Atom, Hawkgirl, or even Zatanna and Elongated Man would have made more sense, to complete the JLA.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I was 15 when wave 2 came out, I remember thinking Doctor Fate was cool but also thinking 'Do kids know who he is?"

Surprising they didn't look at their best sellers and realized that batman needed more exploring.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

^ I thought maybe I was one of the few who didn’t know who some of the second wave characters were. I’ve never been literate into the depths of DC or Marvel. From what you’re saying, it sounds like I wasn’t alone. Well, it’s a shame. Imagine if Cyborg, Shazam, Samurai, Mr. Feeeze and Plastic-Man were in the second wave with Green Arrow and Firestorm...then add some more different villains.

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Man-Bat, Catwoman, El Dorado, and Metallo were prototyped/ planned, but there were some more wacky original characters as well.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎