Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When toylines jump the shark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hoatie View Post
    I'm with you on this one. I LOVED the whole Adventure People line and to see it take a right turn shortly after the release of the Alpha Probe (which was my favorite Adventure People toy of all time) was where they lost me. Of course, I was 9 when it came out, and they were probably going to lose me shortly anyway. But, this decision definitely hastened things.
    Yeah I was most definitely at the end too but this line had me for years, so it was like an old friend doing something weird.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    Then there's MASK. When it went NASCAR, it went completely downhill.
    Ugh, yes, I try to pretend the 10 episodes of the second season didn't happen. It didn't even seem to be in the same continuity as the first season. Mercifully those episodes were not included in the M.A.S.K. DVD box set.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 28, '17 at 1:34 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    If you go by the mini-comics DC did that were included with the toys, Miles Mayhem killed Matt Trakker's brother. I can't seem them agreeing to settle their differences Ricky Bobby style.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by LordMudd View Post
    Never had this problem. My favorite lines were so badly mismanaged they never made it to the ramp. Sttmp Mego failed to release all of the crew and any vehicles. ST3 ERTL only did 4 figures. This line had the most potential and should have been run like GI Joe. TNG Galoob gave us no vehicles or playsets. Playmates made the mistake of changing the scale and by the time they fixed their mistake, the line had run it's course. This line had cost prohibitive accessories because of the scale and the one playset that would have worked, and made them a fortune, they never even considered. Then they dropped the ball with the movie line by not releasing the second wave an completing the bridge playset. Now it is Funko's turn to tank by not following through.

CC.
    Galoob did do a couple nice vehicles for the figures...a shuttlecraft and Ferengi fighter, and a smaller die-cast Enterprise.

Images
    hahaha, the big jim pack line is my favorite big jim series. guess it just depends on how old we were at the time each toy line introduced new ideas. lol

Quote Originally Posted by cjefferys View Post
    Big Jim bored me until the PACK stuff happened, actually it was the introduction of Dr. Steel earlier that made me sit up and take notice of Big Jim (and of course, the cool directions that the line took in Europe and Mexico were even better!). Adventuring/sports wasn't interesting to me, so when lines took a weird turn that's when I became interested (another example is GI Joe, which I had no interest in until Atomic Man, Bullet Man and the Intruders showed up, and of course Super Joe). I never had any interest in the Adventure People, but those sci-fi ones look cool to me actually.

I can't think of any line that really jumped the shark for me, the weirder things got, the more I liked them.
    As a kid I don't think I even realized the Big Jim and PACK stuff were from the same toy line. The PACK figures were so weird and cool, but the sports dudes never did anything for me. I never had any of them, but a friend had PACK stuff and I loved them. An older cousin had a Big Jim and I was like meh. Conversely, the turn that GI Joe made with the figures you mentioned specifically, was really intriguing to me. Never had any of those either. :( I did have a hand-me-down fuzzy headed Joe, but never really cared much for him.
    WH--? Where in blazes are we, Wall Crawler?

Images
    One could argue Super Powers kinda jumped the shark in series 3 by NOT giving us the obvious Supergirl, Batgirl, Nightwing, Riddler, etc. Made-up characters like Golden Pharaoh and Cyclotron were issued instead, along with the Justice Jogger. A lot of the figures planned for the later waves were far more promising.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    For me, jumping the shark is when a toyline goes off in directions it was never intended to rather than the toy company just make a new line for their new idea.

GI Joe, Big Jim and a lot of lines fit in this category.

An example, in the extreme (made up scenario) --- Have an idea for a new toy line .... Office Worker Warriors .... I LIKE IT !!! ..... How about to save money on tooling we'll reused He Man ? ........... Ok, somehow He Man comes to the present day and works in an office with other "Office Warriors" ... Yea, we can do that ... consider it done.
    .................................................. .......................

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    For me, jumping the shark is when a toyline goes off in directions it was never intended to rather than the toy company just make a new line for their new idea.

GI Joe, Big Jim and a lot of lines fit in this category.

An example, in the extreme (made up scenario) --- Have an idea for a new toy line .... Office Worker Warriors .... I LIKE IT !!! ..... How about to save money on tooling we'll reused He Man ? ........... Ok, somehow He Man comes to the present day and works in an office with other "Office Warriors" ... Yea, we can do that ... consider it done.
    Done and done.

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/p...number=FU12409
    WH--? Where in blazes are we, Wall Crawler?

Images
    I don't think the original MOTU toy line ever jumped the shark. Right up to the end of the line they were releasing some truly fantastic figures like Scareglow, Sorceress, Mosquitor, Blade and Horde Trooper. Great sculpts and fun action features.

I think the property jumped with the New Adventures reboot. They stripped away all the fantasy elements and went pure sci-fi. They also got rid of all the original characters except He-Man and Skeletor. He-Man got turned into a space gladiator and Skeletor became a cyborg with a ponytail. Seriously!
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...