Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When toylines jump the shark

Images
    Never had this problem. My favorite lines were so badly mismanaged they never made it to the ramp. Sttmp Mego failed to release all of the crew and any vehicles. ST3 ERTL only did 4 figures. This line had the most potential and should have been run like GI Joe. TNG Galoob gave us no vehicles or playsets. Playmates made the mistake of changing the scale and by the time they fixed their mistake, the line had run it's course. This line had cost prohibitive accessories because of the scale and the one playset that would have worked, and made them a fortune, they never even considered. Then they dropped the ball with the movie line by not releasing the second wave an completing the bridge playset. Now it is Funko's turn to tank by not following through.

CC.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMudd View Post
    Never had this problem. My favorite lines were so badly mismanaged they never made it to the ramp. Sttmp Mego failed to release all of the crew and any vehicles. ST3 ERTL only did 4 figures. This line had the most potential and should have been run like GI Joe. TNG Galoob gave us no vehicles or playsets. Playmates made the mistake of changing the scale and by the time they fixed their mistake, the line had run it's course. This line had cost prohibitive accessories because of the scale and the one playset that would have worked, and made them a fortune, they never even considered. Then they dropped the ball with the movie line by not releasing the second wave an completing the bridge playset. Now it is Funko's turn to tank by not following through.

CC.
    So I'd say Playmates Star Trek line jumped the shark with the 1701 Tapestry Picard. That's the one where they only released 1,701 of a desirable figure when they were regularly releasing over 100K of figures. Then they did the same thing with two other figures. Really torked off collectors who were trying to "Collect 'em all." The line never recovered from that.

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, that backlash was powerful.

Images
    I started with GI Joe in 1982 when they hit the stores. I don't remember a time when I didn't have adventure people. Because of that, I was deeply invested when both lines jumped the shark...especially with the RAH. It really had a theme going.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Images
    Oh yeah, the 1701 debacle. Even when they released those three figures in a box set, it was too little too late.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Big Jim bored me until the PACK stuff happened, actually it was the introduction of Dr. Steel earlier that made me sit up and take notice of Big Jim (and of course, the cool directions that the line took in Europe and Mexico were even better!). Adventuring/sports wasn't interesting to me, so when lines took a weird turn that's when I became interested (another example is GI Joe, which I had no interest in until Atomic Man, Bullet Man and the Intruders showed up, and of course Super Joe). I never had any interest in the Adventure People, but those sci-fi ones look cool to me actually.

I can't think of any line that really jumped the shark for me, the weirder things got, the more I liked them.

For me, GI Joe jumped the shark when they went to the 3 3/4 inch scale from the larger figures I grew up with. Had no interest in them because they were't GI Joe, GI Joe was the Adventure Team not some paramilitary outfit or counter terrorist thing, and calling that GI Joe was just trying to cash in on the established name of the toy line I loved. Never bought anything from that line, never read the comic and never watched the cartoon.

I get others love it, and that's cool for them, but it's not for me in and it killed any interest in anything new GI Joe for me. As Pallitoy said, it's all a matter of when you came in and the perspective/bias it gives you.

-M

Images
    I think the 90s is more when G.I Joe jumped the shark. Stuff like Mega Marines,DEF,Star Brigade and Eco-Warriors.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Oh and I'll kick in too. I loved the Fisher Price Adventure people as a kid, they were special to me.

Around the late 1970s they retooled figures to look more "Star Warsy" and I viewed it as lame and weak as a kid.

I'm with you on this one. I LOVED the whole Adventure People line and to see it take a right turn shortly after the release of the Alpha Probe (which was my favorite Adventure People toy of all time) was where they lost me. Of course, I was 9 when it came out, and they were probably going to lose me shortly anyway. But, this decision definitely hastened things.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    As I said in that thread, GI Joe:RAH probably jumped the shark in 86 with the seemingly super-powered Sgt. Slaughter and sci-fi/horror villain Serpentor.
    RAH always heavily leaned sci-fi. That's a lot of what made it fun. Serpentor could have worked if the character had not been handled so poorly. Cobra Commander was a fun character and basically competent. Only being brought down by his own ego or the betrayal of others. Serpentor, on the other hand, was a blustering imbecile who lacked any of Cobra Commander's wit or charm. Cobra La and the retconning of Cobra Commander was just flat out horrible idea. No saving that.

Sgt. Slaughter should have never been added, in my opinion. Putting in real pop culture characters or celebrities, like Slaughter, the Fridge or Rocky Balboa, is just a terrible, terrible idea.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...