Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When toylines jump the shark

Images

When toylines jump the shark

Werewolf's comment on the Steppenwolf thread about GI Joe got me thinking: when did your favorite toyline jump the shark? It could be in the toy itself, or in the related media; tv series, comics, etc.

As I said in that thread, GI Joe:RAH probably jumped the shark in 86 with the seemingly super-powered Sgt. Slaughter and sci-fi/horror villain Serpentor. But they really lost their way the following year with the Lovecraftian backstory given to Cobra with Cobra-La. Cobra Commander was blue-skinned and had a bunch of eyes under that helmet thanks to spores? Snake people? What the...?

Then there's MASK. When it went NASCAR, it went completely downhill. The stories were still cool, but the concept was just horrid. The TV show became unwatchable.

What sharks did your favorite toyline jump?

Chris
    Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Nov 28, '17 at 7:02 AM.
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Personally, I loved Serpentor...the idea of genetically engineering this super villain from all history's dead warlords was really cool.

I think the worst example is Toy Biz's Spider-Man line when we got to Fisherman Spidey, Baseball Spidey, Fireman Spidey, Camping Spidey, etc. etc.

spideyinaction.jpg
    Last edited by enyawd72; Nov 28, '17 at 8:28 AM.

Images
    I love the idea of Serpentor, but I think the concept may have been a bit out-there for GI Joe.

It's where I first learned of Vlad the Impaler! Dracula was REAL? WHAAAAATTT???

Those Spidey figures stunk up KBs for YEARS.

Chris

Blog Entries
    I think this is a great thread idea but the one thing that will always have us disagreeing is that we all enter toys at different ages.

When I started collecting toys, the average collector had a decade on me. To them, any GI Joe with fuzzy hair was "Crap" and oh God, mention of "Bulletman" was like showing Dracula a cross. I adored those characters.

As for Serpentor, another hard right into Science Fiction for Joe, I bet it's split right down the middle with 80s kids.

Images
    Ok, get out the pitchforks

When Big Jim went from general outdoorsman to P.A.C.K
    .................................................. .......................

Blog Entries
    Oh and I'll kick in too. I loved the Fisher Price Adventure people as a kid, they were special to me.

Around the late 1970s they retooled figures to look more "Star Warsy" and I viewed it as lame and weak as a kid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Ok, get out the pitchforks

When Big Jim went from general outdoorsman to P.A.C.K

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Oh and I'll kick in too. I loved the Fisher Price Adventure people as a kid, they were special to me.

Around the late 1970s they retooled figures to look more "Star Warsy" and I viewed it as lame and weak as a kid.

You know, I recall thinking that was odd, as well. As I've said many times on here, I love the Adventure People line, but they lost me with that stuff. It doesn't fit the line, at all.

For me when GI Joe RAH went SciFi toward the late 80s, I lost interest. It didn't fit.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Images
    Yeah, it's all when you come in. I came in late enough with Joe (really when the first cartoon mini aired) that there was enough sci-fi in it by then that Serpentor didn't bother me at the time. In hindsight, I see it. Cobra-La was WAY too deep though.

I can see both the P.A.C.K. problem and the Adventure People issue. But both didn't really have much of a mythology, so to me they are a bit more open to introduce wilder elements. But I also never owned or played with any, so I can't really weigh in with any confidence!

Chris

Blog Entries
    P.A.C.K and Super Adventure team was brilliant for me because I was the right age and I already used both characters in conflict/adventure situations. There was only so much fishing and exploring one could do....

As for Joe and this is just an example of age being a factor, it totally lost me with the cartoon. I loved the tone of the comic and the cartoon with it's laser beams and death-rays turned me off. However, I was 12 going on 13, so the likelihood of me continuing with the line were almost nil anyway.