Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video on the current and future state of Star Wars merchandise.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Agreed. He is a bit too close to it I think, to the point where he isn't very succinct.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
      Agreed. He is a bit too close to it I think, to the point where he isn't very succinct.
      Maybe...I think he comes across more frustrated than anything because he cares so much. Hard not to be when you're passionate about something and feel it's being treated badly. Frustration leads to anger, which leads to apathy...the Dark Side are they...LOL

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

There's an anger towards women that comes out as he flips through multiple Rey figures that had me howling! He called her "the face of a failure" and "I can't stand her!". And then "I don't like that Fin character...not because he's black. I mean, I have every Lando figure..."

I've heard these kinds of rants elsewhere, but it's usually reserved for armchair quarterbacking about why the Jets lost on Sunday.

He's fighting a losing battle. Disney is on the fast track to run Star Wars into the ground. It's only going to get worse for him from here on out.
        Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Nov 29, '17, 9:51 AM.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

The anger towards Rey confuses me, SW was pretty much my first introduction to a female character who can fight as good as the boys.

Leia is the first good guy to land a decent shot! She's established in the first ten minutes of the movie.

She's the first female action figure I ever had the guts to buy. I'm not alone in that. So weird.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
            There's an anger towards women that comes out as he flips through multiple Rey figures that had me howling!
            I was afraid to be the one to bring it up and didn't want to comment on the video itself. But, yeah, he's got some issues. He also took a pot shot at the Forces of Destiny dolls which are actually some of the nicer merchandise to be released recently.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
              I was afraid to be the one to bring it up and didn't want to comment on the video itself. But, yeah, he's got some issues. He also took a pot shot at the Forces of Destiny dolls which are actually some of the nicer merchandise to be released recently.
              Funny you mention the FD dolls. I am on the fence on buying them, but they're one of the few things that have tempted me. I did grab most of the latest Playskool assortment - aka Star Wars Imaginext for lack of a better description.

My kids and my nieces and nephews are still into the SW Lego sets. Virtually zero interest in anything else.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Oh, if he's going to grouse about Star Wars being marketed to girls and about Rey in particular I'm out. My daughter ADORES Rey. I see a huge poster of Daisy Ridley's freckled face every time I walk down my hallway. I don't get the hate leveled at that character at all.

That "Mary Sue" crap is ridiculous. If she's a Mary Sue, Luke is a "Bobby Joe" or whatever a male equivalent would be.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  That "Mary Sue" crap is ridiculous. If she's a Mary Sue, Luke is a "Bobby Joe" or whatever a male equivalent would be.
                  It's less used than "PC Crap!".

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

I may not agree with every step Disney has taken, but I'd suggest anyone frustrated needs to chill out and enjoy the embarrassment of riches we live in. You like Star Wars? Can you imagine if they came out one per year when we were kids? Talk about first world problems.

Have you guys watched the Forces of Destiny shorts? They are delightful. The toys are equally beautiful, not because they are "made for girls", but because their friendly features remind me of the old 12 inch Kenners. They're just fun looking, colorful, appealing toys.

Just for the record, I was shocked at how quickly Force Awakens got me to care about Rey and Finn. They are well-acted, perfectly realized characters that make me want to see more of them.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Oh, if he's going to grouse about Star Wars being marketed to girls and about Rey in particular I'm out. My daughter ADORES Rey. I see a huge poster of Daisy Ridley's freckled face every time I walk down my hallway. I don't get the hate leveled at that character at all.

Chris
                      I like Rey too...I think a lot of the backlash against her isn't necessarily her fault, but rather the way she's presented by Disney...this "Hey! Look everybody! See how diverse Star Wars is? We have girls and blacks and Asians and gays!" I mean, the original films never did that. The characters were just there and everybody accepted them. Leia and Padme were portrayed as strong leaders...Lando Calrissian was incredibly dashing and swashbuckling...Mace Windu was a powerful Jedi Master...and it didn't feel like pandering. Kids aren't likely to pick up on that, but adults do, and often reject it.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                        Just for the record, I was shocked at how quickly Force Awakens got me to care about Rey and Finn. They are well-acted, perfectly realized characters that make me want to see more of them.
                        I agree...I like both characters. I can't wait to find out if Rey belongs to a certain family...

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                          I like Rey too...I think a lot of the backlash against her isn't necessarily her fault, but rather the way she's presented by Disney...this "Hey! Look everybody! See how diverse Star Wars is? We have girls and blacks and Asians and gays!" I mean, the original films never did that. The characters were just there and everybody accepted them. Leia and Padme were portrayed as strong leaders...Lando Calrissian was incredibly dashing and swashbuckling...Mace Windu was a powerful Jedi Master...and it didn't feel like pandering. Kids aren't likely to pick up on that, but adults do, and often reject it.
                          While I surrender that pandering can be a big issue in fan resentment, a portion of the fanbase (and this counts for every genre) REALLY needs to grow the hell up.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                            While I surrender that pandering can be a big issue in fan resentment, a portion of the fanbase (and this counts for every genre) REALLY needs to grow the hell up.
                            I agree with that also...

Comment

• Teemu
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 15, 2010

Chris
                              There is good reason why she is called Mary Sue.....at least Luke had failure's and defeats....Rey is perfect apparently, and is an instant force user and saber wielder without any training

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                                Permanent Member
                                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by palitoy
                                It's crushing Marvel atm. Even hippy dippies know when something is being forced upon them as opposed to there being an Organic demand for their new changes.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎