7. Batman Forever.
    8. Batman & Robin
    9. Batman Returns

Comment

• number 6
      Village Idiot
      • Jul 10, 2003

1. Batman the Movie (1966)

Like a lot of comic book readers growing up in the 70's/80's, I'd cringe every time someone would derisively bleat out "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-Batman!" when I mentioned I liked Batman comics. And I got to the point where I hated the T.V. show and desperately wanted to finally have a 'serious' take on Batman, so that everyone could see how cool he was just like I did.

But time's a funny thing. Now that the pendulum has swung and the needle is buried 180 degrees in the opposite direction, I've grown to have a newfound appreciation for the original Batman movie. It probably helps that it's not the only version of Batman out there and you're free to choose the level of intensity you want in your Batman movies.

First of all, the movie's fun and enjoyable. You'd have to be pretty cynical not to get some entertainment value out it. Secondly, this is the only Batman movie I can think of where Batman/Bruce Wayne is the most interesting character in the movie. West is working against 4 actors hamming to the hilt but it's never even a contest; Batman is always front and center.

2. Batman Begins/The Dark Knight

This is a tough call for me.

Batman: Year One is my all-time favorite Batman comic story, certainly my favorite re-telling of his origin. And Batman Begins is probably about as close as we're ever going to get having Year One on the big screen. I get frustrated with how many times the Wayne murders (or some byproduct thereof) gets shown in EVERY Batman movie. I'm like 'yes, we know, get on with it!' But I think it's due to the fact that one of the most interesting things about Batman is his origin story. That's part of the what makes the character so compelling, so I guess that's why they keep going back to it. And I think this is an excellent Batman origin story. I give them kudos too for resisting the urge to immediately throw in one of Batman's more colorful villains. The only problem for me is that about 2/3 into the movie when they pretty much get past all the origin stuff and get into the typical comic book boiler plate bad-guy-has-a-bomb-that's-going-to-blow-up-Gotham bit, it gets a lot less interesting to me.

I guess it's cliché, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't blown away by Heath Ledger's performance. I ran back to the theater a second time opening weekend to see it again - something I never do. Not saying I think Ledger is the definitive Joker, just that it's really good for what it is. But that's the problem for me: in a Batman movie you should be anticipating Batman showing up. Yet, despite the fact that they're trying to move Bruce Wayne through a significant character arc, all you're looking forward to is the Joker showing up again. It's a really good Joker movie; just not sure how good of a Batman movie it is.

3. The Dark Knight Rises

Yeah, like a lot of people I was a bit underwhelmed by this after Dark Knight. In hindsight, I think this movie was intended more as metaphor; I think a lot of what has been derided as 'plot holes' can probably be chalked up to the fact that it's not all meant to be taken literally. But suddenly shifting to a metaphorical film when the other 2 where pretty much face value is a trick that I'm not sure they pulled completely off. Still, I do appreciate that to they're trying to do an overall story arc for the Bruce Wayne character. It's more character development then you get in most superhero movies.

4. Batman (1989)

Because of where I was at in my life, my comic collecting, and where movies where at in general, I have a lot of nostalgic love for this movie. Yet, there's a point where my comic nerd kicks - it's usually either when Alfred let's Vicki into the Bat-cave, or when it's revealed that the Joker killed Bruce's parents - that I throw up my hands and just can't sit through it anymore.

I've never seen Mask of the Phantasm so I can't rank it. I know there's a lot of love for it, but the couple of DC animated direct-to-videos I've watched I haven't been real impressed with.

I haven't seen Batman Returns in a long time. I remember being a bit disappointed when I saw it in the theatre. I guess I'd rank it higher than Forever and Robin, but I honestly can't quantify how much better.

The other Batman films did so little for me and can't even attempt to rank them.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

One thing I think is weird ...

Before the 1989 movie the only Batman I knew was '66 and Superfriends

When the 89' movie came out I thought it was way too dark and the campness was all gone

Today, I think '89 Batman is closer to '66 than it is to modern stuff.

Who woulda figured

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

I LOVE the 60s one.
          Parts of the Burton movies were good - I like the first one a bit more. Still seems so weird to me to make a superhero movie without any consideration to action scenes.
          I didn't like the Clooney or Kilmer movies.
          The 2 first Nolan movies were fun, but I thought the action scenes were not great. Even so, at least they tried.
          The third Nolan one was horrendously painful and haven't seen any of the ones after that.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎