Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the last Mego Superhero you bought as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

1984, I was at my comic shop and I had been eyeing a 12" Batman and 9" Robin for a while. So, one day I decided it was time to pull the trigger between those (I forget how much they were total, but more than retail, obviously) or Giant-Sized X-Men #1.

I want to say the Mego dolls were cheaper than the comic, or it was that I could never justify to my Mom paying $40 for a comic book (which I think was the value at the time), so the Mego dolls it was!

Of course, I wish I grabbed that X-Men comic, but who knows what condition I would have kept it in (bagged, but probably stored wrong). I still have my Mego Batman & Robin though, in the boxes (but removed more than a few times!).

Comment

• bleit1701
      Career Member
      • Jan 1, 2009

Teen Titans at Lord and Taylor in Lakeside Mall. They had a small toy section. It was the only place I ever saw them.
      Better late than never.....

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by bleit1701
        Teen Titans at Lord and Taylor in Lakeside Mall. They had a small toy section. It was the only place I ever saw them.
        Wow lakeside Mall in Sterling heights.
        Did you get em?

I think that's part of being a kid is hanging out at boring stores and and clinging onto the smallest thing that captures your interest. I know the days of buying comic back issues or little big books at antique malls.

Comment

• bleit1701
          Career Member
          • Jan 1, 2009

Yes, Lakeside was brand new back then.
          Better late than never.....

Comment

• SWBL5252
            Museum Patron
            • Jun 12, 2012

8 inch Bo and Luke Duke. Why in the world didn’t Mego make a General Lee for 8 inch figures.

Giant mistake

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by SWBL5252
              8 inch Bo and Luke Duke. Why in the world didn’t Mego make a General Lee for 8 inch figures.

Giant mistake
              They were on their last leg at that point so it probably wasn't a concern. The 1:18 General Lee is pretty sweet tho. A bigger complaint would be why mego made 12" Draco but not Wilma Deering. Blink and you miss Draco in the Buck Rogers pilot film.

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

This thread made me realize that I never bought a Mego, Superhero or otherwise, as a kid. That's because I had two aunts that made sure I never had to (come birthdays and Christmas or just a visit). I was the first grandkid on that side of the family and they were in High School and College when I was into toys, so they got to play, too. We lost my Aunt Deb last fall and when I talked to my Uncle at her memorial, he was laughing about how much she loved to spoil me when I was a kid. He got no argument from me on that point.

Comment

• tllgn
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 6, 2010

One of the last probably the last .was in 1981 .i bought another Isis.this one I said .ill just leave it in the package..one of my brothers going through my megos ripped it open for some reason.which he knew I had a loose one.so I still have it .its just of the package got trashed..but I bought another one a few years ago on card so no biggie.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 27, 2007

Great idea for a thread. I clearly remember getting a Spider-man at an indoor car show in Buffalo in 1979. I was 13, and felt very self consciousness about buying a toy, particularly an action figure, at that age. I still remember the guy had a bunch of them in bags. They must have fallen off the cards or he took them off the cards for space reasons as they were in new condition.

Comment

• batmanmc
                      mego batman collector
                      • Jun 22, 2004

incredible hulk at toys r us

Comment

• jayraytee
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2011

Early 90s I think, French carded Mr Fantastic and Hulk at Children's Palace. I know I was at least 20 and I was born in 69. Children's Palace had a wall of them and Batman and Spiderman which my brother bought.

Back in the day it was Ironman and Lizard.
                        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• glimpy
                          Loco Chango
                          • Feb 5, 2012

Hahaha that's funny my mom my aunt my cousin and myself went to Kmart back in the mid 70s and lo and behold there was about a hundred Mr. Mxy's!!! They were all on markdown for like $0.98 or something. my mother bought me one and my aunt bought my two cousins one each. I didn't even want him I said who in the heck is this fat guy? but I'm glad she bought it for me because I still have him after all these years in my collection!!!
                          Last edited by glimpy; May 13, '18, 8:07 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎