Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the last Mego Superhero you bought as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Hmmm...I think it was probably a Superman, because I took a nice, new Superman to show and tell in first grade, and that would have been 81 or 82, depending on the time of year. I remember because a kid took off with him at the end of the day, and my Mom called everyone short of Ronald Reagan to make sure I got him back the next day.

The last Mego I saw at retail was a wall of 8" Spideys at Children's Palace in 1986. Instead of buying one, I bought...Bravestarr. Sigh.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Z-man 307
      Museum Super Collector
      • Mar 15, 2010

I got a purple carded Aquaman for Christmas in 1980. I remember that the local Zayre store had a wall full of them. Oh, if I could go back in time...

Comment

• Red Hulk
        Career Member
        • Dec 19, 2012

Shazam and Robin at Woolworths in 1980.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Same as Chris, I last saw Mego WGSH at Children's Palace in 1986. I got Batman and Robin. They also had Spidey and Hulk.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Action Martin
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 30, 2007

I had to think about this for a bit. As I recall I never bought a Mego WGSH action figure or any Mego 8" action figure for that matter. They were all given to me as gifts. I received three of the Fantastic Four line at the same time for Christmas (1976?), so my last Mego WGSH would have been Mister Fantastic, Human Torch, and The Thing.

The last time that I saw a Mego in a store was in at the Child World in Bayshore, NY in 1981. They had pegs and pegs of Teen Titans. My friend bought a set but even thought I loved the New Teen Titans, I passed on them since I wasn't playing with toys at age 14.
            Scott

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Action Martin
              The last time that I saw a Mego in a store was in at the Child World in Bayshore, NY in 1981. They had pegs and pegs of Teen Titans. My friend bought a set but even thought I loved the New Teen Titans, I passed on them since I wasn't playing with toys at age 14.
              I am amazed when I hear you and others here share stories like this of the TT. I habituated Children's Palace in the '80s and never saw any. Their Pin Pin Megos are what got me restarted collecting, '82-'86, but I didn't even know about the Titans until I began corresponding with Mark Huckabone. After all, I only had the WGSH cardbacks as a figure reference. I was confused by the absence of Wonder Woman and Tarzan, lol.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 4, '17, 11:04 AM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Action Martin
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I am amazed when I hear you and others here share stories like this of the TT. I habituated Children's Palace in the '80s and never saw any. Their Pin Pin Megos are what got me restarted collecting, '82-'86, but I didn't even know about the Titans until I began corresponding with Mark Huckabone. After all, I only had the WGSH cardbacks as a figure reference. I was confused by the absence of Wonder Woman and Tarzan, lol.
                I remember the Teen Titans blister cards had either orange or red (clearance) price stickers on them. I think the price was $1.97. I think this particular Child World closed down prior to or around 1985. I remember when my friend opened them, how disappointed we both were with Wonder Girl and how Speedy's costume was reversed from the comics. Not to mention the gloves so he couldn't even hold his bow. But overall, a decent little set of figures for Mego's last hurrah.
                Scott

Comment

• k2
                  Career Member
                  • Sep 12, 2007

I love how late into the 80's people were finding figures at retail. the last I remember seeing was some Star Trek, prob just Kirk and Spock I got a Spock to replace the one I had. I can't remember remember the store but it was no later than 1984

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

Middle school. In a store? Mxysptlk. Why? It was the only one available. After that I mail ordered Green Goblin and Wondergirl from Heroes World or a Comic Book ad or Sears or something. I still have my Mxy and GG.

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

Just curious, but did anyone ever order megos thru the comic book adds? cut out the form, fill it out and send it in?

I never did because I had both a Kresges and Child World near my home, just wondering about others.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 27, 2010

I think it was invisible girl.now I never asked for "girl dolls" when I was a little kid.(princess leia was the first I got)but my grandaunts bought it for me as a gift until that time I was fine just playing with the fantastic four megos pretending sue was invisible.

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 30, 2012

Pocket Heroes Spider-Man and Hulk in 1980. Last 8 inch WGSH for me was Green Arrow in around 1976 or 1977.

Comment

• supes
                            For the love of Mego's!
                            • Jan 19, 2004

The last Mego figure I bought as a kid was a factory bagged Aquaman at Heroes World. I remember bringing him home opening him and being very annoyed and disappointed that he had pointy ears. My mom drove me back to the mall to return him. On my way out I was still feeling bummed and just walked by the wall that had the teen Titans and shelf that had Kiss.

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• BATMAN89
                              Mego obsessed!!!
                              • Jul 20, 2010

Gosh, I do not remember. That was over 40 years ago!
                              Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                              My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• drogge
                                Career Member
                                • Jul 24, 2009

Speedy

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰