Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the last Mego Superhero you bought as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

What was the last Mego Superhero you bought as a kid?

I've tried below to recreate my experience coming out of the theater in 1981, having just seen Superman 2 and excited to buy a new 8" Superhero. The selection was somewhat.....limited.

What about you?

lastwgsh.jpg
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Probably Superman mid 80s at Children's Palace. The had them on discount. The selection was Batman, Superman and a few Hulks with broken legs.

BTW: That Slime display rocks.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

the last one I remember getting was Penguin. my aunt took us to a toy store and they had a whole rack of just Penguin. in all likelihood though it was probably Superman as you could still get Superman, Batman, Hulk and Spiderman in the big toy stores at least into around 84-85 as I recall

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Holy cow, that's a toughie. I think it might have been Human Torch in the late 70's (I remember buying a Dr. Zaius, Alan Verdon and a Keeper after that, but they aren't WGSH). After that, my cousin and I traded Megos all the time, but that doesn't really count as buying a new figure. Last Mego superhero I bought at retail period was a carded Hulk at Child World around 1989-90, but I was in my early twenties at that point, so I can't count that one based on your question.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

Hey Mxy is still a part of the Superman family just not as visually striking as Supergirl or the man of Steel.

Comment

• warlock664
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 15, 2009

For me, it was Mr Fantastic and the Invisible Girl. It was a couple of days after Christmas; I had received the Thing and the Human Torch as presents, and was desperate to complete the Fantastic Four. I later coveted Thor, but never got one.

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

My brother got a boxed Hulk and I got a boxed Falcon at Bellas Hess department store. Both are still in my collection today.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                the last one I remember getting was Penguin. my aunt took us to a toy store and they had a whole rack of just Penguin. in all likelihood though it was probably Superman as you could still get Superman, Batman, Hulk and Spiderman in the big toy stores at least into around 84-85 as I recall
                A whole rack of Penguins? That's the stuff dreams are made of.

I was still buying Pin Pins in Jr. High at TRU; I think the last actual Mego I received as a gift was a T2 carded Penguin, c. 1980.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

A replacement Spidey. Still have him. Red torso too.

Comment

• starsky
                    veteran member
                    • Aug 26, 2007

mine was the 8 inch incredible hulk which i told my mom would be my last toy if she bought it for me. hahahaha this was when lou ferrigno was on tv as the hulk.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

I didn't buy it, but the last one I got was the Joker. I think it was early 80s, the beginning of the end for both Mego and my toy playing days.
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• darkbros
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 3, 2012

A Carded Incredible Hulk, at TRU, Spring 1985 for $2.99 on clearance. That was the last time I saw ANY megos at retail, as TG&Y had closed its doors a few months earlier, and I bought
                        a damaged carded Super Powers Lex Soar 7 there, & I went specifically there to buy Megos and Warren magazines when TG&Y was closing and thinking to myself "Man it'd be nice to score a few megos
                        if they are closing". lol When I went to TRU that spring, I was looking for Star Wars as I had shifted back to Star Wars collecting, and I saw the HULK just peg warming and thought, "Well why not?"
                        since I didn't have him. After that I didin't get any Megos until 1989 when I got my KidBiz Batman at retail via Comic Shop for $15.
                        Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                        https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                        "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Shazam, because he was the only one pictured on the DC box art that I didn't have, well it did say collect'em all.
                          actually Shazam was a hard fine for me, for some reason my local toy stores had limited quantities, but I did end up
                          finding him at a local Childworlds on the card not the box.

Comment

• msenger76
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 3, 2009

i picked up 2 broken leg Hulks at children's palace in 1991 as a 15 year old.

Comment

• kinostadt
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 14, 2004

The last Mego I bought was a carded Batman in the early '80s. I bought it as a birthday gift for a neighbor kid. The kid didn't really appreciate it, and I immediately wished that I would have bought him something else and kept the Batman for myself.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎