X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Gaming advice wanted---please!

I'm looking at buying a gaming system for the first time in probably thirty years. I know a lot of you folks are pretty avid gamers, so any advice you could provide on which one is a better investment would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm not really looking to join in with a bunch of other players, so networking capabilities are not a huge consideration for me. I'm just looking for what is prone to giving me the BEST, not necessarily the BIGGEST, bang for my buck[s]. Thanks, in advance, for any info...
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

I have always been a Playstation guy with the modern systems. my son loves xbox. the most recent systems are basically computers. you can go on line with them, Netflix, play bluray etc. actually I am not sure if the xbox one plays bluray or not

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I have an XBOX One and a Switch. My favorite is the Switch by far. The XBOX One and PS4 are more powerful but that power comes with several trade offs. Like huge mandatory and time consuming installs that very quickly eat up your hard drive space. Plus equally massive day one patches that take hours and HOURS to download and install. If you don't have lightning fast internet expect to play your new XBOX game the following day because it will be downloading and patching over night.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• argent007
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 7, 2005

I have had a number of systems, but I consider myself a casual gamer. I have really enjoyed Xbox One with Xbox Gold. Xbox Gold offers several games to download for no additional charge each month. You can look online to see what has been offered. That has been a nice way to go for me. The "free" games are a bit older, but they are new to me so I have been happy.

Another option would be a last gen system (Xbox 360 or Playstation 3). With either of those, the games will be next to nothing. Tons of games to enjoy with either system and very little financial investment (or potential regret) if you don't end up playing as much as you'd like/expect.
        My Updated Want List:
        Comic book original art
        1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
        Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Personally I like the PS4 better than the Xbox One. Basically the same games can be found on each system, PS4 will have more game options and they have the VR headset, which is pretty cool. But all of the big games are pretty much on both systems anymore with a few exceptions of exclusives.

PS plus card gives you a bunch of free games each month that you can keep and some are really decent ones.

You can find a 1TB PS4 for on sale for $199, it will play everything including the VR games if you want to get the headset later. The $189 Xbox One that's been on sale is only a 500Gb system, so you might find yourself running out of hard disk space quicker.

We have a Switch as well, and it's still new, but it does get a lot of playing time, and is usually gets picked up before we leave the house since it's portable.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Thanks for all the great information. Helping me to make a decision. I am leaning towards the PS4 and, maybe, down the road, adding a Switch, as well. I'll keep you guys updated as to what I decide to buy. Thanks for the input.
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
              I am leaning towards the PS4 and, maybe, down the road, adding a Switch, as well.
              I do like the Uncharted series but Keep in mind the PS4 has the same mandatory installs and day one patches as the XBOX one.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• megomania
                Persistent Member
                • Jan 2, 2010

We have: my original NES, PS2, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Switch, PSP, Wii, and a 3DS. Don't ask me

(and if I could find one we'd have the SNES Classic and NES Classic)

-Chris

Comment

• Spyweb007
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 18, 2006

I always had kept up with current gaming systems in the past, (I used to run the video game dept at my TRU), but I'm looking forward to getting a Switch for my son. He has a PS3, but the installs and updates make it more like a gaming computer to me. I think Nintendo understands that gaming should be fun and keeps that stuff to a minimum. If I wanted the hassle of constant downloads I'd just play computer games and skip the consoles.
                  As long as the Switch gets solid 3rd party support for games I think it wold be an excellent all around choice! After all, it always comes down to the game library in the end.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎