X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Tom Baker Doctor Who news.....old?

I just saw this, or at least I think it's the first time I saw this.

Doctor Who fans have waited nearly four decades for today. Shada -- an episode that began filming in 1979 with Tom Baker as the legendary Time Lord -- is finally finished and available to download (a DVD will be released in the UK on December 4th, and in the US on January 9th). An animated segment and a new scene were produced to fill in the footage gaps, both of which feature Baker reprising his role as the Doctor. To add to the prestige, the episode was also written by Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy author Douglas Adams.

• palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

It's been announced for a while but i think this trailer is fairly recent. I've never really cared about this story but I guess I'll check it out now.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

I thought this was about the video Tom posted on YouTube yesterday saying it was Doctor Who Day.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

so it's, what, an unfinished episode from back then that they are now completing? the scene in the gondola was used in the 5 doctors to have Baker get stuck in a time vortex or whatever, while the other 4 were actually in the movie

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

This is the first time I've heard of it.

After the announcement of the 13the Doctor I've given up on new Doctor Who.

Don't even care about the Christmas special ......

But this injects new life

Thank you Steve

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            so it's, what, an unfinished episode from back then that they are now completing? the scene in the gondola was used in the 5 doctors to have Baker get stuck in a time vortex or whatever, while the other 4 were actually in the movie
            Yeah a strike ended production but I guess they finished it by getting the cast together for voice recordings, it's clever. I rarely revisit the Williams era but it's one of my wife's favourites, so i'll give it a whirl. After years of holding off on the different versions of this, it'll feel new.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

I'm looking forward to this release. Only about 50% of the story was filmed originally because of a BBC technicians' strike.
              A truncated, cobbled together version was released on VHS back in the early 90s, and Big Finish remade it as an audio story with Paul McGann in 2003.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

This is remarkably sweet news to wake up to this morning.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

that's awesome news. I wonder how they will explain it in continuity. disc comes out December 4th

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

I guess the December 4th release date is only in the UK, not available here until January according to Amazon and only DVD is coming up for pre-order

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, now that is really giving the fans what they want. Even as a newbie Who fan, Baker's appearance in the 50th anniversary special got me all choked up. Good on him for still playing ball.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for posting, that really got to me when I saw Baker in character. He was my first Doctor (PBS and WWOR in New York, I guess he's had the strongest impression on me although I grew to love Pertwee after seeing episodes later in college. I'll bet Who fans are ecstatic, I'm really excited and I'm just a dilettante.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
                          This is remarkably sweet news to wake up to this morning.

Dang !!! ......... mop-up needed on isle 4 !!!

Thanks for making my weekend B

Comment

• fallensaviour
                            Talkative Member
                            • Aug 28, 2006

Hell yeah,now that’s a doctor!!!
                            Just when I think I’m out,they keep pulling me back in!!!
                            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• rche
                              channeling Bob Wills
                              • Mar 26, 2008

I am pretty excited about this. Douglas Adams was script writer for this story and I have always been sad that the strike killed the shooting for it. There was a pretty fun recent novelization wherein the author (Gareth Roberts) does a pretty passable job of ghost writing for the ghost of Adams.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎