X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomStrong
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2011

Originally posted by Mikey
    One big thing I miss is mall comic book stores .......

I was never into comics themselves but I always loved the peripheral stuff ... model kits, rock T-shirts, statues etc.

My local mall didn't have a comic store but I used to trek to a few local malls to indulge in their comic shop goodness.
    I miss that too. Comic stores and Circus World. Oh my goodness I loved Circus World, got some great toys there as a kid. One of my favorites was a Hulk finger puppet and I still have him! Now you can’t get a burger or a toy at our mall.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
      Permanent Member
      • Sep 15, 2014

Reports of brick and mortar retail's demise have been greatly exaggerating. I think only media and niche stores were the only casualties. But the majority of people don't order pants or home improvement materials online.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

The mall I went to as a kid went out sometime in the 90s. When Nichols went under the mall pretty much followed shortly after. They tried to keep it afloat by putting in a flea market. That didn't last too long either. Losing P&C was the final nail. The local hospital had taken it over.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by jwyblejr
          The mall I went to as a kid went out sometime in the 90s. When Nichols went under the mall pretty much followed shortly after. They tried to keep it afloat by putting in a flea market. That didn't last too long either. Losing P&C was the final nail. The local hospital had taken it over.
          I was pretty lucky ..... around 1980-ish our main chain store Grants went belly up.

We got this new store in it's place (nobody ever heard of) ... It was called K-Mart

They even opened a luncheonette --- That had the best burgers EVER - seriously

I'll always have a soft spot for K-Mart ...

They actually improved our mall rather than put a nail in it's coffin

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

I'm not sure I'd call it a mall. It was more like an indoor shopping center. It had Nichols(Barker's before that),P&C(don't think many malls had grocery stores),Fay's Drugs,an arcade,a liquor store,a barber shop and a bank.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Ah, Nichols. Wooster, OH had a huge free-standing one, across from a plaza that had a Grant's, which later became a Mr. Wigg's and then a Heck's. Both Wiggs and Nichols had great toy departments; Nichols' was greatly expanded at the holidays and they had a Santa, which was odd for a discount store.

Wooster recently closed its K-Mart, all it has now is Wal-mart, how I loathe that store.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 23, 2013

In the 1980's, I liked going to a mall that had an actual boardgame store. It also had a sword shop that also carried pewter fantasy miniatures.

One store carried a $3000 glass pineapple, I am still amazed by that one.

Comment

• Pete
                  • Oct 11, 2017

When I actually do go to the mall, it's just to browse and eat pretzels. I do most of my buying online.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎