X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Your old mall...

With Black Friday approaching does anyone still go to a mall that they have gone to for as long as they can remember? Sadly most malls in my area have gone away and the few that are standing are a former shell of themselves. I'm not much of a online shopper but with times changing I have somewhat adapted..
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

I prefer online shopping. I hate crowds.
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

We still have malls, most of them are fancy now. I was never really one for them. I've always been a catalog/mail order type.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

My original mall was built in the early 70's and was torn down in the late 90's

Had some good times there --- Seen Star Wars on opening day, Got 99% of all my toys there ....

Just a little hometown 1 horse mall

Today the land is a Lowes

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

we still have a mall but honestly I prefer to order online, the mall is good if you are not sure what to get and need to window shop

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

We still have The Mall in St. Matthews that I grew up with as a kid, but it's absolutely NOTHING like it's old self now. It's all one big homogeneous collection of women's clothing, jewelry, perfume and shoe stores along with a couple of over-priced men's clothing shops and your atypical food court. I haven't been in it in a couple of years. The last time they remodeled it, they pretty much gutted it of any soul it once had, sadly.
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 12, 2016

All indoor malls today are really just shells of their former selves...Back in the 70's and 80's, malls had a lot more diversity in the stores they had...You had book stores, toy stores, candy shops, arcades, movie theaters...ours in Alabama had an ice skating rink in the middle...Plus a cooler selection of clothing stores like Chess King, Merry-Go-Round, etc...Now, most of the shops are boring or overpriced, or you have 7 or 8 cell phone shops...And with half the stores, they're there one day, and a week later it's an empty store again...At least that's the way it's become with the 2 malls near me anyway...It really is sad today to be honest...
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• TomStrong
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2011

We still have a pretty good little mall in Florence, Al. Been going there since I was a kid. They’ve even renovated it recently.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Out of the three malls I used to regularly visit as a kid, one is closed down (scheduled to be razed and replaced with condos any day now), one is practically closed, with only the adjacent separate entrance businesses like the movie theater, Mandarin restaurant (ugh) and Jysk still open; and one mall is still open, but practically unrecognizable as the same place from my youth, with all the cool stores gone.

Out the ones I went to in my childhood over the border in Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY, those are gonzo, or might as well be. Very sad.

Comment

• warlock664
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 15, 2009

With the death of the chain toy store (think:KayBee), the book store (Waldenbooks, B Dalton, Borders), and the record/DVD/toy media store (Suncoast, FYE, etc), I have very little interest in mall shopping these days. We still have a mall built in the early 70s in my area (renovated a couple of times), and I'm in it less than a half-dozen times yearly.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                      Persistent Member
                      • Apr 28, 2013

I live about 15 minutes walk to a mega mall called Metrotown. I rarely go except to the grocery store, and the dentist. It is always very busy which is good, but I prefer to shop online as I can find a better deal.

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

All the "good" stores in our mall are gone. Sears, Kay Bee, Musicland, FYE, Childrens Palace, Hallmark are all gone. I have no reason to go anytime during the year, let alone Black Friday.
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Best of the best stores in my old 70's mall.

Grants --- Main department store of my mall --- supplied me with half of my toys
                          Rockaway Sales ---(the other half of my toys) --- Specialty, hunting and toys --- I know, only in America
                          Pet store --- they had piranha !!!
                          Theatre --- seen almost every 70's release there --- Star Wars, Jaws, Shining, Star Trek TMP, you name it.
                          Chinese restaurant --- they had an actual indoor fountain --- in the 70's that made them crazy cool.
                          Special events ......... fish in a barrel contest --- YES, you fish in a barrel !!!

Gotta stop, getting a tear in my eye

Comment

• Spawn67
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 14, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
                            Best of the best stores in my old 70's mall.

Grants --- Main department store of my mall --- supplied me with half of my toys
                            Rockaway Sales ---(the other half of my toys) --- Specialty, hunting and toys --- I know, only in America
                            Pet store --- they had piranha !!!
                            Theatre --- seen almost every 70's release there --- Star Wars, Jaws, Shining, Star Trek TMP, you name it.
                            Chinese restaurant --- they had an actual indoor fountain --- in the 70's that made them crazy cool.
                            Special events ......... fish in a barrel contest --- YES, you fish in a barrel !!!

Gotta stop, getting a tear in my eye
                            Yea I have a nostalgia for malls that's why I posted this to see that I'm not alone. I know times change and I'm all for progress however I do miss the powerhouse era of the mall especially around this time of year.
                            Just recently someone uploaded a video of them as teenagers walking through one of our old long gone malls that I used to go to in 1989 and it was a trip back in time for sure.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

One big thing I miss is mall comic book stores .......

I was never into comics themselves but I always loved the peripheral stuff ... model kits, rock T-shirts, statues etc.

My local mall didn't have a comic store but I used to trek to a few local malls to indulge in their comic shop goodness.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎