X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Trek Legs

The blurb in the Trek Gallery says: "In fact, so high was Mego’s confidence in the line that they took the unprecedented step of creating specific lower-leg tooling for the male crew members. The Starfleet-issued boots were incorporated into the figure itself, saving countless lost pairs of Mego footwear at the hands of careless children–as well as eliminating one more step in the assembly process." But I would have assumed plastic hero boots would be cheaper to manufacture than all the tooling necessary to create the Trek boot legs. I mean, they needed them for the Klingon boots anyhow. So were the molded boots a cost saving measure? Was it an aesthetic decision? It has always struck me as odd...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm sure it saved them money in the long run, and it certainly looks better.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hobub
      Ghost of a Dead Indian
      • Jun 18, 2001

Talk about nostalgic, I just had a major moment of nostalgia thinking back to 1995 when some kid listed Kirk, Bones, and Spock all mint in the local for sale ads so he could buy a guitar. I went down to and snapped them all up for no less than $45 a piece. Mint with chrome plated insignias, squeaky knee joints and the whole shebang. I think these must have sat in his parent's possession in a box for two decades prior. But those boots were killer. I never had these as a kid. I still remember the look my father-in-law gave me when I proudly showed them off. I still have them displayed in cool sci-fi boxes I got from Mego73. But they are well hidden in the back of the case and have been out twice since they took up residency there. Thanks for the jolt of memory.

This was one of those times. Bones is hidden off camera and a few more were added with a couple Dave MCs added for an added touch of final frontier..

They just look too cool with those star trek boots, Aesthetic no doubt!

Megomeet0
      Last edited by hobub; Nov 22, '17, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

I love my Trek Mego's and the lower leg black boots seperates them from the common bodies. The Trek lower black legs are thinner than the plastic black hero boots, and since Trek mego's didn't have bodysuits, I think boots would have been easier to fall off on a bare leg and might have rattled a little. WGSH had bodysuits which kind of acted as long socks, so the boots would slip on nicely. Although POTA Zaius did have short pants and his hyrogylphichs boots went over a bare leg, they might have rattled a little

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by tjacwave50
          Although POTA Zaius did have short pants and his hyrogylphichs boots went over a bare leg, they might have rattled a little
          True. As soon as I had an extra set, I added vintage pirate sock to my Zaius and Uhura tights to my Zira for that reason. The molded Trek legs have a nice streamlined look.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎