X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobub
    Ghost of a Dead Indian
    • Jun 18, 2001

Pickers cleaning house in Glendale, WV

Recently closed Marx toy museum. Airing on history channel now. Not Kruger Street but Marx museum to the south of there. Louis B Marx factory was in same town. So was Brad Paisely.
  • SpaceCrawler
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 20, 2008

Not sure what you mean but the TV show American Pickers recently filmed an episode at the now closed Marx museum. Unfortunately they mostly focused on old tin wind up toys (like the do on every other episode) ignoring all the other hugely popular and culturally significant toys that Marx produced. Disappointing episode.

Sean
    Last edited by SpaceCrawler; Nov 21, '17, 8:41 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Their predilection for rusty tin signs over pop culture eventually had me change the channel.

The Canadian version of this show suffers from the same issues but also the guys are total skin flints.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I like Pickers in theory, but yeah, when they bypass old toys and really impressive unique stuff or yet another gas pump or tin sign...many of which you can find reproductions of at any flea market...it frustrates me quite a bit. Makes me miss The Toy Hunter.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• hobub
          Ghost of a Dead Indian
          • Jun 18, 2001

Yeah they’re not much for action figures. I’ll give them that. But vintage automobilia and Indian or Ace motorcycles, oil cans, signs and pressed steel/tin Toys. But you probably missed the Marx Frankenstein Mike bought. Nice likeness., or the prototypes and the one of a kind sealed Big Lou. There’s life before Mego. Well how about that?

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 20, 2008

I saw the entire show, but those brief mentions of Frankenstein and Big Lou were passing references in comparison to the time spent on yet more tin toys (and the short prototype segment was just more tin toys). Collecting for at least 2 decades and I know no one who collects tin toys, turn of the century metal toys, etc.

I mean no mention of Big Wheels? No mention of play sets?! Dinosaurs, cowboys, WWII, etc?! Those were huge to kids. Johnny West, etc? Big Wheels alone should have had special mention as they were quite significant to kids and totally different for the time. And playsets, which Marx excelled at, were the basis of every kid's toy collection.

It's the fault of the networks and the producers who think they have to keep making the same episode over and over to maintain their audience. They are too afraid to step outside the established parameters they have grown accustomed to and - mistakenly think- accurately reflect the toy collecting world. Of course they aren't doing a documentary, they are doing a show about these guys who like the tin stuff, but seriously, these pickers know this stuff but often ignore it. I've seen episodes where they pass over expensive GI Joe items that you see in a pile in the background for another $10 oil can.

Sean
            Last edited by SpaceCrawler; Nov 22, '17, 7:31 PM.

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

I agree it's aggravating that they seem to not gravitate to the stuff we're screaming about to the TV, but there's ton more filmed than what's being shown. Don't assume it's not being purchased just because it didn't get any airtime.
              Last edited by drquest; Nov 22, '17, 2:14 PM.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by palitoy
                Their predilection for rusty tin signs over pop culture eventually had me change the channel.

The Canadian version of this show suffers from the same issues but also the guys are total skin flints.
                The tall guy is extremely extroverted and Frank is like "Ya got a price on those oil cans?"

Last edited by Mr.Marion; Nov 22, '17, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• hobub
                  Ghost of a Dead Indian
                  • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by SpaceCrawler
                  ... Collecting for at least 2 decades and I know no one who collects tin toys, turn of the century metal toys, etc. ...

Sean

It’s nice to meet you Sean.

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 20, 2008

Originally posted by hobub
                    It’s nice to meet you Sean.
                    Finally, after 20 plus years, one person who collect tins toys! :D

Sean
                    Last edited by SpaceCrawler; Nov 24, '17, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                      The tall guy is extremely extroverted and Frank is like "Ya got a price on those oil cans?"

If I remember right,Mike was only interested in the Mobile Batlab because it's a VW Bus. Couldn't care less if it was Batman or Mego.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

I seem to recall they also turned around and sold it on ebay

Comment

• MegoSteve
                          Superman's Pal
                          • Jun 17, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I watched every episode on Netflix and it amazed me how little they'd spend. The later episodes added faked scenes where they would brag to each other about how they doubled their money on something, and all I could think was "You're making a living doing this?"

The one guy, who is apparently a Superman fan, pulled a Superman blackboard out of some guy's trash heap and acted like it was a bootleg item. The same guy found a bunch of carded Super Powers figures in a lady's doll collection and paid her $7 each for them. Yow!

Comment

• hobub
                            Ghost of a Dead Indian
                            • Jun 18, 2001

There was an episode on Thursday that had Spiderman's first appearance in Amazing Fantasy and Superman #3, I believe, Alley Oop sculptures and much more that kept my interest. I still dig the show any time I can watch it. And usually when they are running the marathons.
                            Last edited by hobub; Dec 3, '17, 5:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎