X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lovelikewinter
    • Nov 13, 2017

Cleaning Megos up.

Hi.

My first vintage Mego came today (Superman) and I want to clean him up and rid him of the funk of 40 years. With the outfit, would using laundry detergent be ok when I hand wash it? I use one that is free of dyes and perfumes because of sensitive skin.

Also what is the best way to clean the face of a figure? I don't want to submerge it in water because of the rubber bands, but he needs a bath.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Per my experience:

1. The costume: Gently soak it in a bowl of tepid water with a little dish-soap or Woolite for 5-10 minutes. No bleach, it kills synthetic fabrics. If using Oxy, be careful, it can dull colors. Swish the suit around, massaging it with your fingers--be careful of the cape (fraying). Rinse/swish it several times to remove the soap. Do not wring it. Blot/block it between two clean tea-towels, spread-eagled with the cape spread above the neckline. Air-dry: I just lay it over a mug, it dries quickly. You can iron the cape over med-low heat, but you must use a pressing cloth/old handkerchief over it because the cape is synthetic.

2. The head and boots: I would remove the head for cleaning, but you don't have to. If keeping it on, I clean it with cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol. If removed, I swab it first, then gently scrub it with a little dish-soap and a soft toothbrush. The alcohol acts as a degreaser and helps remove vinyl oxidation. The boots can cleaned the same as the head.

While these items are drying, you can take a damp cloth and wipe down the body.

I never machine-wash (or dry) vintage suits:The knit is pretty resilient, but old threads are not. Plus, the thread is cotton and you don't want it to shrink.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 17, '17, 11:05 AM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

If possible, I would like to see the before and after pictures, would be interesting to see the results.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎