Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever try Popeye's Cajun Thanksgiving Turkey ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

^ I have on a couple of occasions, but it was one of those things where a bunch of us gathered up and worked together. A couple of my friends cook deep fried turkeys (and calf fries) all of the time so they were the pros. It seems to be a matter of making sure the turkey is absolutely defrosted with no moisture to react with the hot oil and watching the temperature of the oil closely. Also, the pot has to be more than "big enough" and the propane burner base has to be absolutely stable and OUTDOORS. We used an injector to get the Cajun spice and butter mixture under the skin, got the peanut oil to the right temperature, used an apparatus that would receive a hook for lowering and raising the turkey, and monitored the temperature and cooking time closely. It does seem pretty safe if you know what you are doing and pay attention. And the results are delicious!

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

^---- how are calf fries ?

I wanna try them but I can't get over the ickey factor.

Wish somebody would serve me them and not tell me what they are

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Mikey
        ^---- how are calf fries ?

I wanna try them but I can't get over the ickey factor.

Wish somebody would serve me them and not tell me what they are
        I think they are great and nothing icky about them except the thought (for some). If you can stand a McNugget (both thought and taste), then you will think these are way the heck better than that. I've been eating them since I was a little feller because people around here make a big occasion out of having a "calf fry". Fundraisers and the like. They are breaded and deep fried which makes anything taste good (I've had turkey fries and lamb fries, too). People use all kinds of sauces for dipping these days, but I like the traditional cocktail sauce (like what you have with shrimp). (Calf fries and Mountain Oysters are synonymous.....if you ever hear that term).

There is a big calf fry annually in Stillwater, Oklahoma at a club called "Tumbleweeds" that used to be a lot of fun. They served calf fries with all the "fixings" and then there was a big concert later in the evening. I liked it because Chris LeDoux would play there every year. I really enjoyed his music. He was a great entertainer who put on a first class concert and there was always a ton of pretty gals there. NOT the same since he passed, but it was always geared toward a younger crowd and I had aged out about the time he died, anyway. They call it "The Testicle Festival". Hahahaha

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I've never heard of calf fries, but I know what mountain oysters are. I would try them--I'll try almost anything, I'm not usually squeamish about food. I've eaten eel, tripe, sweetbreads, tongue, alligator, escargot, and bugs (both candied and fried). Enjoyed it all. I love souse, but I'd like to try head cheese.

One thing I don't like is scrapple--too mealy.

Back to turkey: Has anyone tried roasting one upside-down? Sounds good, but it seems like it would ruin the breast skin and I can't picture how to flip it to carve it.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

"Mmm.....giblets."

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Makernaut
              I think they are great and nothing icky about them except the thought (for some). If you can stand a McNugget (both thought and taste), then you will think these are way the heck better than that. I've been eating them since I was a little feller because people around here make a big occasion out of having a "calf fry". Fundraisers and the like. They are breaded and deep fried which makes anything taste good (I've had turkey fries and lamb fries, too). People use all kinds of sauces for dipping these days, but I like the traditional cocktail sauce (like what you have with shrimp). (Calf fries and Mountain Oysters are synonymous.....if you ever hear that term).

There is a big calf fry annually in Stillwater, Oklahoma at a club called "Tumbleweeds" that used to be a lot of fun. They served calf fries with all the "fixings" and then there was a big concert later in the evening. I liked it because Chris LeDoux would play there every year. I really enjoyed his music. He was a great entertainer who put on a first class concert and there was always a ton of pretty gals there. NOT the same since he passed, but it was always geared toward a younger crowd and I had aged out about the time he died, anyway. They call it "The Testicle Festival". Hahahaha
              You know, you are making me think I've eaten them and didn't even realize I was ....

Back in the 80's I went on a road trip with my sis and her hubby.

Have no idea where we were but it was somewhere in Oklahoma.

A totally gorgeous restaurant/hotel shaped like a log cabin --- really big

I had "lamb nuggets" ... couldn't get enough of them

Re-ordered like 3 times

I wonder if I was eating balls and didn't even realize it.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎