X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by enyawd72
    Have to disagree. For me, movies are all about escape. I have no desire to watch dramas. I can turn on the six o'clock news for that. I also can't STAND musicals. Aliens and ghosts? Plausible. A bunch of random people bursting into choreographed song and dance? Hell no.
    For the most part,can't stand musicals either. Unless it's something like "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum."

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Lots of James Cameron hate I notice.

Maybe a question that should be asked is, "Have you ever come late to the party, watched an iconic movie, and come away satisfied with its iconic status?" I'd like to know if any of you have watched an iconic film late in life and at the end thought, "Yup, that was awesome and deserves its reputation?" My guess would be that the experience of watching an older film can't live up to the hype and expectation which those classic films have achieved through the context of their release and their eventual coronation as "iconic".

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Lots of times, I'm scrounging to think of examples currently but I can honestly say at least twice this year I've finally sat down and watched movies I've kind of avoided and thought "I really wish I'd watched this when it came out".
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Hedji

Maybe a question that should be asked is, "Have you ever come late to the party, watched an iconic movie, and come away satisfied with its iconic status?" I'd like to know if any of you have watched an iconic film late in life and at the end thought, "Yup, that was awesome and deserves its reputation?" My guess would be that the experience of watching an older film can't live up to the hype and expectation which those classic films have achieved through the context of their release and their eventual coronation as "iconic".
          I've met a couple of people who in their 30's or so were like "I never saw Star Wars." and I just tell them "Don't bother at this point. You needed to see it when you were like 6 or so."
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

Anything with “Living Dead” in the title.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Is Avatar really an Iconic movie???

Anyhow, I’ve seen most classic movies. I don’t care for the horror genre. I’ve seen very few new moviesin the past 15 years. They just don’t appeal to me.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji

I can see different sides to this. I mean, I know people watch movies for different reasons. I LOVE movies. I don't think I've ever seen a big iconic movie and thought "that was a waste of time". One example I can think of: I only caught up on "Gone with the Wind" about 10 years ago, and I didn't love watching it, it didn't work for me, but I liked getting to see why it meant so much to people.

I don't think someone is going to enjoy watching "The Godfather", for example, if you're not open to it, just because the pace will probably throw some people off. As wonderful as I think it is, it is just a movie.

"Citizen Kane" though - if you love monster movies you will probably really enjoy this movie. First of all, it's got every known type of special effect from its time, including animation and make-up effects. It's just a wild, fun, big story with great big performances. I mean, Welles got to make this because he made War of the Worlds - it's not some stuffy dusty thing.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

I’ve seen every single movie posted here.

I’m a hardcore film buff. From the big budget Hollywood classics to low budget obscure independent ones.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

James Cameron has directed four great flicks, The Terminator & Terminator 2, Aliens, and The Abyss.

Aliens is my second all time favorite movie.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

I'm a sucker for all Godfather movies

Not because i'm Italian-American ---- I am not

I love them because they grab me and put me in their world --- Hey, I AM Italian-American for the next few hours !!!.

Not many movies out there can do this to me.

Schindlers List is another great example --- Somehow Spielberg turned a Polish Catholic (me)... into an Eastern European jew forever...

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

I think I've seen most movies people have listed here except Godfather (I tried but just couldn't get through it), Rocky (no interest) and Top Gun (ditto).

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

Mikey - that's totally like me! I see a Godfather movie on and I have to watch - all the rich details - it sucks me right in. (Especially Part 2)

What's with the hate for Rocky?!! It's a fun, well constructed movie with a lot of heart!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

To comment on a few of the movies mentioned in this thread...

I finally watched "Lawrence of Arabia" last year for the first time. Totally amazing cinematography. The overall pace is a little slow, but it's definitely worth watching.
                            I watched all three Godfather movies for the first time about 6 years ago, back to back. Gripping. (Particularly 1 and 2).
                            Gone with the Wind... still haven't seen it!
                            The Sound of Music. Nope, never watched it.
                            Titanic... Utter garbage.
                            Citizen Kane. Good film. Worth watching at least once.
                            It's a Wonderful Life... Finally watched it about 5 years ago. Hated it.
                            Rocky... Love it. I like all the Rocky movies.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Godfather 3 REALLY let me down.

Never seen any of the movies until the late 90's

My nephew was/is a crazy Godfather fan and MADE me watch the first two --- in prep for the upcoming conclusion ...

LOVED Godfather 1 --- and adored Godfather 2

When Godfather 3 was released me, my nephew and all his friends were there in the theatre front and center.

All I can recall is everybody saying "what's with all this opera sh_t"

To this day I describe Godfather 3 as "opera sh_t"

Comment

• J.B.
                                Guild Navigator
                                • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by enyawd72
                                Due to a post I made in another thread...I got to thinking about all the famous films I've never seen, and have no desire to see.

A Clockwork Orange
                                Big mistake, droog.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎