X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Why we collect toys

Bear with me on this. I've been reading a lot lately, trying to improve my skills, the way I think etc. It's been the most worthwhile thing I've done with my life in ages, it's paid off in spades. I'm trying to better understand something, so i thought I'd work it out here because it relates to all of us.

The most recent book I've been reading is called "Hardwiring Happiness" and it talks about changing your brain to think positively as we are genetically predisposed to store negative experiences faster and retain them better. This all goes to early man and our need to identify threats in order to survive.

One of the points the author makes is in order for a positive thought to sink it, we have to really linger over it (something we're all bad at and need to train ourselves to do) or it has to make a deep impact with us, like really resonate. If it does that, it physically changes our brains.

That's where toys comes in, we all have strong vivid memories of getting our childhood friends. Some of us over the years can remember how a store smelled or Christmas morning details. I've probably heard 10,000 such ruminations over the years and they always have one thing in common, how well they've been retained. These experiences burned into our brains the way a groove does onto a vinyl lp.

They quite literally are, gateways to happiness. Actual triggers to positive thought.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm not telling everybody what they don't already know, it was just a different way of looking at it that enlightened me this morning. Thanks for reading.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

That's totally right. The groove/imprint is a perfect visualization.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

It's definitely a happy place. A nice mental place to escape to.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

Very true. When I'm feeling down, I will frequently go to the toy room and just reorganize things. It's a peaceful thing to do. I have many great memories, just as you described, attached to my toys. There's a reason I have very few modern toys. It's all about finding a happy place for me, which involves bringing me back to a simpler time.

Comment

• comicmike
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 22, 2009

I used to specialize in counselling with PTSD. My office was full of Batman and Spider-Man paraphernalia: The superhero stuff opened deep, meaningful conversations about getting back to a happy place all over again, ti discuss the importance of finding meaning, even through myth-making; and no matter the man or woman or youth's own circumstances. That work subsequentially led me into a career where I have to stay positive because it is my job, as a face and a personality for my M-F work. My Megos are what have helped me tweek my own mental model to find and stay in my own positive place, to get me through my career life (& always appear 'happy', regardless of the heavy and 'public-like' workflow; as well as centre me in my creative, personal life, in 'Mego-land', so to speak.
          * I think this is a fantastic post topic, Brian. Great reading you must be doing.

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Life was simpler.

Toys made us extremely happy.

Now we're desperate for that feeling.

We (unlike those who can't [or won't]) can access that feeling through toys because of that imprint.

The only other notable thing?

It's a desire for "order".

Order as far as a cohesive identity of "who we are".

As in: This toy is me. This is what I like. I'll collect them and build my identity. That makes me feel more secure.

And that's it.
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Thanks for posting this great thread.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

There's a very good reason my man cave is called The Fortress of Daddytude and this thread sums up why pretty well. My happy place away from the world.
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I agree with hue. the toys bring back happy memories of a much simpler time in our lives. before we were burdened with responsibility and the weight of the world. I know they always put me back in a happy place. I tell you whenever someone comes over my house for the first time(guys anyway), they always light up when they see the toys, because even if they are not collectors, it still brings back that happy place for them

Comment

• LordMudd
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 22, 2011

I must be the exception to the rule. I cannot remember most of my life, not that it was THAT memorable, but I can recite lines from favorite movies and tv shows I saw years ago as if I just watched them. Would drive my wife crazy.

CCC.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

A very thoughtful thread indeed. I too am trying to be mindful of being negative or dwelling on things I am disappointed in. It is sometimes harder to force your brain to be positive, which is something I'm actively trying to be better about.

It's good to know that there is a biological predisposition to nostalgia. I sometimes wonder as the window for physical playthings narrows for the technology generations, how their warm fuzzy memories will be affected. I suppose kids could be nostalgic for digital comforts just as we associate happiness with the smell of plastic.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                        They quite literally are, gateways to happiness. Actual triggers to positive thought.
                        Totally agree with this, nice post! I collect toys because they make me happy just looking at and handling them. That's why I can never understand people who get all negative about the hobby, nitpick everything, argue with other collectors, etc. It's a hobby to make you feel good, so you're doing it wrong!

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                          It's a hobby to make you feel good, so you're doing it wrong!
                          Oh my God, this.

It's no secret that by running this place, I've had some unpleasant encounters with collectors.

Even though some of them were super nasty to me (and occasionally my family) when I put some distance on it, I start to feel kind of sorry for them. They've taken something meant to be a source of happiness and poured misery all over it.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

My collection is my theraphy. It takes me to a happy place, away from the sometimes tough and cruel world.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                              Oh my God, this.

It's no secret that by running this place, I've had some unpleasant encounters with collectors.

Even though some of them were super nasty to me (and occasionally my family) when I put some distance on it, I start to feel kind of sorry for them. They've taken something meant to be a source of happiness and poured misery all over it.
                              You are by far the better man. I never feel sorry for my enemies. I wanna crush them to smithereens, lol...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎