X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
    You are by far the better man. I never feel sorry for my enemies. I wanna crush them to smithereens, lol...
    Heh, I hate the word "enemies" but i feel ya. I just want them to go be happy and leave me alone.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I got your back...

sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

I'm going to try and describe what I perceive at times (and not every time) when I look at, hold, or think about certain things like comics or toys from my youth. It will be a poor attempt, but maybe some of you will understand part of what I am trying to put into words.

I have moments from time to time where it might be close to a meditative state, I guess. It's not a deliberate thing that I set out to accomplish. It's not any kind of physical sensation like goosebumps or a rush of emotion, but I can almost perceive the pathways in my brain "connecting the dots" or opening up and I start to have realizations about the significance of separate events that I hadn't realized would wind up being connected in some meaningful way as time moved forward. And it doesn't always have anything to do with THAT particular item, in and of itself, but there might be an associated person connected to it or it might be about events surrounding the time when that particular item was significant to me. It winds up being something different than remembering "happy times" or "a simpler time". It becomes about realizing layers and depth and contentedness. The associated "awareness" that is the result is really cool and something I am always thankful for.

That's about as well as I can describe it without rambling. I will say I have the same kind of thing unfold for me when contemplating the future or conceptual things if I am at a particularly good or deep lecture or watch a TED video. Same "sensation" of "all the gears whirring and pistons firing" as I start to perceive some deeper implications of things.

Comment

• noelani72
          27inaleon
          • Jun 25, 2002

yup, totally agree and Huedell pretty much summed up what I would have wrote.
          For me and my psyche, it is equally as strong as the bad...I dwell and dwell on crap I certainly shouldn't. That's why I avoid drama at all costs because this is supposed to be fun.
          Those memories are important - they contributed to my dislike with a certain remego company dropping the ball on so much potentially cool stuff...so I chose to block it out - out of sight, out of mind because I have my memories, I have my collection and only add to that collection if it is truly meant to be.
          Neither myself nor The Boy have had time to do crap since megomeet...we hardly see each other...no creative juices flow whatsoever, but I have a nice collection I see every day as I head out the door.
          I find myself not posting like I used to because I'm not building like I used to and that makes me sad.

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

Toys definitely represent SUPER strong, very vivid positive memories for me, so this makes perfect sense. Getting some of the those holy grails (many from people on this very board) I never had as a kid fill in the disappointing spots very nicely too.
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

So i finished the book, it's quite good and I'd recommend it to anyone looking to change their outlook or just looking for a different viewpoint.

It delves on childhood a little and explains that as Children we fast track learning, that's why it's easier to learn a second language as a child etc. So we become formed by our experiences, negative stuff like abuse will become something we carry with us. On the alternative side, positive experiences can also leave a mark.

I started giving some thought as to my hobbies and my obsessions and actually tracked it down to what i love and why i do what i do in my spare time.

My parents were in the toy biz, they went to NY toyfair and also had stacks of catalogs and industry magazines. I was five and I knew how the sausage was made. We visited show rooms often, it was pretty amazing,

On the other side, I was often left with my grandparents on the weekend in their mall shop. I LOVED the mall. It had a Woolco, a hobby shop, book store, pharmacy with rack toys and a pet store loaded with Penn Plex Creatures in every fish tank. My obsession with pictures of old toy stores stems from this and also why my toy room as my sister put it once, "looks like a store".

So while I'm not a seriously complex puzzle (I think I may be 48 pieces at best), it was a rewarding exercise to find out what makes me tick. I'm richer for it.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Goblin19
                Talkative Member
                • May 2, 2002

Sounds very interesting. I've added it to my Amazon cart, though just like you I have a pretty good idea what makes me tick. Your review should be on the dust jacket.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎