X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    MegoSteve, I agree with everything you said. I hope it does rebound a bit this weekend. This movie doesn't deserve the pummeling it's gotten from critics. Yes, BvS did. But this isn't BvS.

In my personal opinion, Thor: Ragnarok wasn't nearly as perfect as Rotten Tomatoes would lead you to believe, and Justice League is nowhere as bad. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

I will admit JL is less polished looking than Thor 3, and the villain isn't as compelling as Hela. BUT, I still say the overall tone and message of JL is more fitting the events on the screen than in Thor.

I just wish they'd spread the love around a bit. Obviously the critical bashing AND the bad taste of BvS is hurting this film, and I really think it deserves better. The sins of the father are being visited upon the child.

Chris

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Holy krap...what biased point of views against DC...

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Well, that sure looks like that they are pulling for Marvel, and dissing DC. So all the crazy internet ragers were actually right for a change?

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I've suspected that RT is manipulated for a long time and that's why i don't go there or care. It reminds me of the old days of ACN when all you had to do was give Harry Knowles a present and your movie was praised and praised.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

"Certified Biased"

And yet in this age of brand recognition and quick barometer assessments on media entertainment, RT carries significant clout. "Oh, this blu ray has the RT Certified Fresh logo on it. Must be safe to blind buy it".

Comment

• phil
              Persistent Member
              • May 11, 2007

I have never paid attention to RT. It seemed like the possibility for manipulation is/was always there.

Comment

• Goblin19
                Talkative Member
                • May 2, 2002

I think it's more laziness on their part. I've never noticed a bias toward one studio or another, just a lot of inconsistency.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Maybe but it seems suspect of hyperbole too, Thor Ragnarok is resting at 92 percent. That's a solid, fun movie but i'm not sure I'd suggest it is near perfection.

Comment

• Goblin19
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 2, 2002

Well, the flaw in RT is that there's no gray area. If you read the Thor reviews, they run from pretty good to great, with most testing in the good range. For Justice League, there are a lot of okay reviews that are still deservedly rated as rotten. If there was a "meh" section, a lot of movies would fall into that category, not really good, but not really bad either. Justice League has a lot of those type reviews, so while the consensus is rotten, it's not really rotten (though I lean toward more rotten, myself). Justice League didn't fall into what I call the Sandler zone (15% or less). That's where I have found the truly awful movies lie, such as most Adam Sandler movies, hence the name. Everything from around 20 to 65% is a crapshoot.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, I think it's a seriously flawed system, not empirical in any way and seems prone to human interference.

Comment

• Goblin19
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 2, 2002

Well, honestly it kills movies nowadays. Everyone checks it now and if a movie gets bad reviews, even if they are mixed, such as Justice League, they stand little chance. RT was a huge positive at first as it seemed to help movies that got great reviews, but now it is the reverse. The international market doesn't see me to car about RT scores yet, at least.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

One thing Thor Ragnarok had over Justice League is the far superior villain. Cate Blanchett as Hela slayed it, she was awesome.

JL’s Steppenwolf on the other hand was nothing but a subpar CGI character, yawn.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 2, 2002

Steppenwolf reminded me of the bad guy in Guardians of the Galaxy, just as generic as can be.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Oh man, it killed the Tom Cruise Mummy movie and the Dark Universe for sure.

Yeah, the movie is mundane and a real pot boiler but I'd reserve that rating for something that you see the boom mic a few times in. The audience score on that one (and many others) is more realistic.

Comment

• Goblin19
                                Talkative Member
                                • May 2, 2002

Agreed on that one. It was decent. Sometimes you can tell people are ready to hate a movie before it comes out. That was one of them. Depp's Lone Ranger was similar. I thought it was a decent movie, but people were ready to pounce in that one due to wacky Depp fatigue.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎