Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

I saw it tonight and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. One of my friends texted me after he had seen it saying that they finally got Superman right... and I heard endorsements from a few of you here (Scott, thanks for the PM!), so I figured I'd see it and I'm really glad I did. Superman finally got his due. Justice League had what MoS and BvS did not have... optimism and heart. Even if the heart may have been a last-minute transplant, I still appreciated it.

There are always things to criticize. Steppenwolf... meh. Re: the final credits: if I never see Lex Luthor in a big-screen Superman movie again, it will be too soon, especially with Jesse Eisenberg in the role. On the whole, however, Justice League was well worth seeing.

Also, the theater was pretty full. Granted, it was a matinee with cheaper seats, but it would not surprise me if the dropoff for the second week was not as dramatic as usual because I think word of mouth is going to get out and keep it from cratering. (That and it's a holiday weekend this week.)

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by MegoSteve
      ... Superman finally got his due. Justice League had what MoS and BvS did not have... optimism and heart. Even if the heart may have been a last-minute transplant, I still appreciated it.
      Well-said.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

MegoSteve, I agree with everything you said. I hope it does rebound a bit this weekend. This movie doesn't deserve the pummeling it's gotten from critics. Yes, BvS did. But this isn't BvS.

In my personal opinion, Thor: Ragnarok wasn't nearly as perfect as Rotten Tomatoes would lead you to believe, and Justice League is nowhere as bad. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

I will admit JL is less polished looking than Thor 3, and the villain isn't as compelling as Hela. BUT, I still say the overall tone and message of JL is more fitting the events on the screen than in Thor.

I just wish they'd spread the love around a bit. Obviously the critical bashing AND the bad taste of BvS is hurting this film, and I really think it deserves better. The sins of the father are being visited upon the child.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• bleit1701
          Career Member
          • Jan 1, 2009

While it has it's problems I had FUN watching Justice League. I can't say that about MOS or BvS.
          Better late than never.....

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

They got extra scenes in China

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Deadpool should still be squirming around there.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

I watched it yesterday...IMAX, no 3D. $17.50.

Was it worth it?

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!

I loved it!!!!!!

Was it perfect? No. Steppenwolf SUCKED! What a lame villain, lame CGI. That goes for his mosquitoes army too, lol.

But what I loved were the Justice League members themselves...starting with a FINALLY affable, decent, bright-colored Superman...OH HELL YEAH!!!!! He finally gets the respect he deserves. Without him, there’s no Justice League, period. Now I’m wishing with all my might we get a truly deserving Superman solo movie...deserving of praise like the Christopher Reeve’s ones. Thank you, Henry Cavill.

Wonder Woman...she gives me goosebumps just like Superman does. The bank heist scene was awesome. Gal Gadot is just perfection. Whomever made the final casting decision should be awarded a Nobel Prize, lol.

The Flash. What I’m about to say might get some of you quickly hating me...but I much prefer Ezra Miller to Grant Gustin. I loved his portrayal, funny, cool, exciting, fresh. Sure, he started unsure of himself, but you could see by the end...he was as heroic as anyone. I just don’t dig Gustin’s angsty take on the Flash, although he does sport the better costume. I hope Miller’s get redesigned for his next one.

Aquaman. Yes, not your traditional take on the character, but I dug the heck outta of Jason Momoa. He was the angry one in the beginning, but by the end, he was just a cool dude. Just wished he got to use more of his aquatic powers...he seemed to struggle a bit on the tunnel...that should’ve been child’s play to him.

Cyborg. I don’t get the hate for him. Sure, Martian Manhunter or Jon Stewart’s Green Lantern would’ve been cooler...but Cyborg was an intrical part of the team, his computer savviness was good to have. Plus Ray Fisher has a GREAT voice...almost James Earl Jones like.

...and finally...BATMAN. Critics says Affleck sleepwalked through the role. I highly disagree. He chilled out, displayed some humor. His first action sequence was very reminiscent of the 1989 Tim Burton Batman. Affleck also alllowed himself to be the recipient of some physical chastising (courtesy of Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Superman). As I have stated before, Batfleck is physically the most imposing-looking on screen live action Batman ever. Having said that...Adam West and Christian Bale are still the best Bruce Waynes.

As I said, not perfect, aside from the lame CGI villain...I’m still not enamored by Amy Adams’ Lois Lane and her “show up anywhere and everywhere” scenes.

It was a simple by the numbers movie, I’d say derivative of The Avengers...so it didn’t break any new ground in that aspect. But it brought my childhood favorite superheroes to life...and gave them some heart. Thank god it was not Batman v Superman...or even Man of Steel. Justice League felt more like the stand alone Wonder Woman movie. Now that Zack Snyder is totally out of the picture...I strongly feel the next wave of DC Extended Universe movies are going to be much improved.

We as comic book geeks need and want both DC and Marvel to thrive equally, best of both worlds.

Amen!

Last edited by Hector; Nov 22, '17, 2:45 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Mego Milk
                    Custom Mego Maker
                    • Jun 3, 2007

HECTOR!

That was a great review!
                    agree totally!

I loved it too!

Comment

• Mego Milk
                      Custom Mego Maker
                      • Jun 3, 2007

I would have liked to see an actor in the role of the CGI bad guy.
                      but my brain got used to watching the CGI.

The movie was fun and super hero entertaining!
                      It was like watching SUPER POWERS the Movie.

Its everything I would have done with my action figures.

So glad this movie is in my life.
                      please make more like this.

AW YEAH.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Yes, for the life of me...why wasn’t a real actor used for Steppenwolf?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

As always, I enjoyed Danny Elfman’s track...even though Batman and Superman classic familiar themes were a bit ‘drowned” and semi-incognito. But it’s a start. Hopefully he lets them fully lose next time.

I also didn’t mind he changed Wonder Woman’s charged up electric cello theme to traditional standard classical, as he had to match it with Batman and Superman’s...otherwise...it would’ve felt out of place.

Elfman knows what he’s doing...
                          sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Great review Hector. Glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing it again this weekend, if possible.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

I'm going to try to see a showing this weekend provided I can cram it in.
                              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Just a heads up, if anyone wants to revisit Batman V. Superman, Amazon has it on Blu Ray for their Black Friday deal of $4. Wonder Woman Blu Ray is $7.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎