• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Christopher Tolkien resigns as director of Tolkien Estate

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017...olkien-estate/

Tolkien is 93 and informed the board he was retiring and resigning on Aug 31. It wasn't announced until today while all the legal paperwork was completed. Christopher was always much more interested in preserving his father's legacy than making money off of it, and limited licensing of products based on Middle Earth. The remaining board members it seems, do not share that attitude, and some are expecting a licensing blitz to ensue. It certainly puts the Warner Brothers settlement with the estate earlier this year and the recent deal with Amazon for a TV series in a different perspective.

Whatever the case, I wish Christopher well and hope he has a long retirement to enjoy.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Interesting.
    I know Christopher wasn't fond of the Jackson films.
    It will be fascinating to see what happens next.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

Amazing he kept control as long as he did. 93 is way old to retire. I hope he has time left to enjoy it

Comment

• warlock664
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        Amazing he kept control as long as he did. 93 is way old to retire. I hope he has time left to enjoy it
        Let's not get carried away; I'm sure he's been enjoying life for quite some time. It's not as if "Director of the Tolkien Estate" was a job akin to mining coal or even flipping burgers. I doubt he put in many taxing 40-hr weeks in the position.
        I do admire his dedication to preserving his father's legacy, most evident in his 12-Volume History of Middle Earth series. That he also resisted the temptation to cash in on merchandising says a lot about his character.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎