X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C.H.O.A.M.
    learning all the time
    • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
    Wow, I had the opposite reaction. It was nice to get a break from Alex's baby drama (which, really, if you dreamed of have a kid since childhood and you decide to get into a same sex relationship, wouldn't you want to bring that up PRETTY EARLY? But that's beside the point...) and just have a fun adventure. I have high hopes that this episode might reset the vibe of the series. I doubt it, but the angry grrrl thing is not working for me.
    I liked it too. At first, I thought "oh hell no" but once it got going it was good. and the two child actors were excellent, young Alex a welcome change from the weepy adult one. also I liked how deep rooted Kara's anger apparently is, shown by her young version's speech to J'onn. I think it gives her a little "edginess" that helps the show.
    y'know, maybe an actual "girl" lead for a "supergirl" show isn't a bad idea... (spinoff??) I mean, shouldn't Kara be called "superwoman?" by now?? a little odd considering the female empowerment and progressive leanings of the show I think.
    also, what was with the pedophile teacher angle? REALLY not trying to sound creepy here, but notice how they cast (and clothe) an extremely attractive young actress to play the girl sleeping with her teacher? (who btw didn't consider herself a "victim" but let's not go too far into that...)
    more questionable messages from this show

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

I'm with CHOAM and Crimson Ghost regarding the flashback episode.

The two young actresses they cast to play young Kara and Alex were very well chosen as their appearances, voices and mannerisms played very closely to their adult counterparts. I enjoyed the simple, uncontrived plot sans any real soap opera moments and (cover your ears, Hec), I enjoyed the clever way they tied in Smallville's Chloe and her Wall of Weird (which, I suppose, indicates that Tom Welling's Clark Kent eventually becomes Tyler Hoechlin's Superman).

I WAS kind of hoping that since this was a flashback episode, they would tell us how Kara gets the scar above her left eye. There's gotta be a story there somewhere!
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
        I enjoyed the clever way they tied in Smallville's Chloe and her Wall of Weird (which, I suppose, indicates that Tom Welling's Clark Kent eventually becomes Tyler Hoechlin's Superman).
        I think it was more of just a nod to Smallville, since that show had it's own version of Supergirl, and wasn't Martian Manhunter on at one point as well?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Yes indeed. Played by Phil Lewis.

Kind of interesting that they pointed to Chloe, since Alison Mack has been in the news...in not a good light, as of late.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

really? I will have to google that, I had not heard anything

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^She's allegedly involved in a sex cult that brands women, while preaching feminist ideals. You can't make this stuff up.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, I googled it after leaving my last comment. you're right, can't make this stuff up. not only is she allegedly involved, she is allegedly 2nd in command. and here all these years we thought Tom Cruise was crazy with his cult

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

I read up a little on it as well. It's amazing what can happen to people when they fall into the sphere of influence of someone else who charismatic and twisted. It's a shame, really; when I met her in Metropolis, IL at the Superman Celebration a few years back, she didn't seem like the type...
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                    Banned
                    • Jun 23, 2001

Not a Superman/Supergirl/Super Family reader...Is this Reign character that Odette Annable is playing a female version of Doomsday??!!?? BTW, Odette Annable has that Phoebe Cates meets Jessica Alba thing going on She's gotten skinny since she was on House for one season...

Comment

• johnnystorm
                      Hot Child in the City
                      • Jul 3, 2008

Legion of Super Heroes!
                      But why is Saturn Girl a brunette?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

last nights episode was rather violent for this show. some of the fight scenes the CGI wasn't that great but overall a solid episode with some super slugfest going on.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                          learning all the time
                          • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                          last nights episode was rather violent for this show. some of the fight scenes the CGI wasn't that great but overall a solid episode with some super slugfest going on.
                          it was, but Kara's been fairly p.o'd from the get go, which is one of the things I like about the show.
                          although it was pretty reckless for her to not get Reign away from innocent bystanders asap.
                          seems this show is like Smallville in another way: there are lots of Kryptonians out there...
                          and Reign is cute and so is Lena

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

yes, there is a lot of eye candy on the show

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎