Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of interest to Superman collectors-original hand colored proof of Action #1 cover

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Of interest to Superman collectors-original hand colored proof of Action #1 cover

Going to auction next week is the original hand colored silver proof of the cover to Action comics #1 from 1938. It;s was used to set the color palette for the cover and the series. It is believe dto be the only surviving piece of original art form that debut issue.

Story on Bleeding Cool...https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...ics-1-auction/

the history of the piece...

[QUOTEEd Eisenberg got his start as a young man doing color proofs for National Periodicals (now DC comics). To save money and time, publishers would print “silver proofs,” cheap and slightly faded knockoff prints of finalized black-and-white line art printed on paper that would easily absorb watercolors, allowing color artists to mock up basic looks for the covers and interiors of comics to see what palette would work best. It was Ed who devised the color scheme for what became the single most-important comic cover ever published, Action Comics #1, the first appearance of the first superhero, Superman. As always, several proofs were made, allowing editors to choose which look had maximum impact, while the discarded ideas were tossed and gone forever.

Eisenberg, returning to the job after WWII, discovered this one surviving copy, showcasing his original color art, which had been hanging on Harry Donenefeld’s office wall behind his desk, for years, and was about to be disposed of while workers cleared out the desk of the ailing publisher. Ed saved it from the scrap heap and took it home, where it remained in his possession until its appearance in auction some 60 years later. As the original art from this issue is long lost, this is likely the only remaining piece left of the construction of an American pop-culture monument, making it among the most historically significant items we’ve had the privilege of offering.

Observe the major variation in coloring: Eisenberg notes that the red car, while attractive and eye-catching, fought for attention with the red of Superman’s cape, and, as editors felt that Superman must be the central figure on the cover, so the car’s color was changed, bringing the final imagery in line with what we all know and love. The value and importance of this piece, both to comics and to Americana, cannot possibly be overstated. There are less than 100 copies of Action #1 out there, and look what’s happened to the prices on those. Imagine if there was only one, like this hand-colored silver print!][/QUOTE]

and a look at it...

It will be interesting to see what it goes for. Definitely a unique piece of comic and pop culture history, but well beyond my resources, so I will have to enjoy it vicariously through other people's bids. I guess I hope it winds up in a museum rather than in a private collection, but outside of Geppi;s Museum in Baltimore I don't know of any that might have the right combination of interest and resources to acquire it. The Billy Ireland Cartoon Library on the campus of Ohio State is one that might have the interest, but I doubt it has the kind of resources to outlay for it unless it is bought by someone in the private sector and donated to the library.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 18, 2015

If the prices that Action Comics #1 itself go for are any indication, this thing will go for millions!
    The hands that grip.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, that's gonna be fun to watch.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

That's an amazing item, wow...
        sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

So his cape was originally pink? Or is it my monitor that makes it look pink?

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

It's a watercolor, a little too much water in the red and lots of time and light would make it fade to a pink over the years.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

I hope that it has some paperwork/provenance to go along with it. This is what I posted on a facebook page for the Justice Society that posted this link:

I don't see any corrections. It should have a stamp on the back if protocol was followed saying or giving initials of the people involved. You see it on a lot of art and having been a proofer/plate maker in printing somebody would have to have signed off on it. This is something that if anyone is interested in should ask a lot of questions. Surprised that it's not a lot more faded being 80+ years old. If I had the kind of scratch that this would command I would most definitely ask questions. There are plenty of "silver" prints/stats that have been printed since 1938 of this cover...anyone can color it and say it's original. Sorry to be the pessimist...might be the Sicilian in me

I understand that this is really not a proof but more of a "colorists" copy...but it still would have been stamped or something saying that it was rejected because the car was the same color as Supes cape. It will be interesting to see this up at auction...but I have my doubts about it being the real deal. I want to believe it is...but stuff from the early days of comics have never really survived in tact. DC used to cut panels out of original pages and give them to people that used to write letters back in the 30's through the late 50's early 60's. Whole pages are SUPERHARD to find from this era of comics...let alone something of this nature which was just a "copy" of an original cover and then colored. If there is no provenance any potential buyer should ask for the paper to be tested to see how old it is. If this goes as high as they think it might they better be DAMN sure that it's legit.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎