• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Lucasfilm/Disney hires Rian Johnson to develop a new Star Wars trilogy

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/1...son-lucasfilm/

We all knew there was more Star Wars coming after Episode IX concluded the trilogy, but now its official. Looks like the new trilogy will start in 2020 with Johnson writing and directing the first film.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Could be awesome, or could suck. Let's hope it's awesome!

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

It's good that it's not Skywalker saga. That way if it does suck, the original saga isn't affected.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

In another Disney announcement today Bob Iger also announced they are working on a live action Star Wars tv series set to debut when they launch the Disney streaming service sometime in 2019

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...vel-tv-series/

There will also be new live action Marvel content, Monster inc. and other content developed for the channel.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

did they say it would not be about the Skywalker family? I only read that it is basically theorized it might not be. Disney has said all along that the trilogies are about the Skywalker family. Maybe the new series will jump forward a generation or 3

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Maybe it'll be the adventures of R2-D2 and BB8!

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              did they say it would not be about the Skywalker family? I only read that it is basically theorized it might not be. Disney has said all along that the trilogies are about the Skywalker family. Maybe the new series will jump forward a generation or 3
              Yes, Kathleen Kennedy said it will explore a corner of the Star Wars Universe previously unexplored and Rian will be building form a blank canvas, and it will not be part of the episodic Skywalker story.

The Star Wars show on youtube goes over the key points of the announcement.

-M

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I wonder what era it will be.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

would be cool if they did Knights of the Old Republic. or the Darth Bane storyline and have Yoda as a young Jedi

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Exciting news. Can't wait to learn more about this.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

I did not watch that Star Wars show yet, but heard something about it on Twitter.

It could bring all kinds of things to the screen! I am pretty sure that I will love it.

I'd like to have a cantina trilogy, that takes place on an off Tatooine, but does not re-live the day Obi-Wan brings Luke there.

Just have more stories about the regular customers and include a bunch of new characters, and show additional planets that were never mentioned in any television animated series or previously shown in the movies.

That might be fun. It could be before or after the Original Trilogy.

But, what might happen is something way better than that!

Distant worlds, vastly differently designed spaceships and unusual characters & inhabitants.

There is much creativity ahead for audiences!

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                        There is much creativity ahead for audiences!
                        Not too much I hope.

If there's not enough of the familiar old-school Star Wars style there to trigger my nostalgia, I'm not interested. And IMHO it would be a waste of the property.
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

I'm as excited about the TV announcement as I am about the movies. As much as I like The Force Awakens, I think Rebels has been the best thing to happen to the franchise since ROTJ. It would be awesome if they could make a live action show of that same quality.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎