Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

I was lookin' at Box Office Mojo, and I noticed that there are at least three Untitled Universal Event Films listed to come out in 2020!

If the Monsters are back on, I think that I'm in for a real treat.

I think the movies have great potential.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
      There was one huge flaw in the entire idea to begin with. Universal has been credited with creating the first "shared universe" in movies with their monster rally films of the 1940's. The problem with that is, those films weren't part of some grand vision, nor were they a culmination reached after establishing ideas from previous films...they were nothing more than a last ditch attempt at squeezing a few more bucks out of individual monsters who had reached a dead end by that point. The studio didn't know what to do with Dracula, Frankenstein, or the Wolf Man anymore, so they decided to team them up. Simple as that. And though they do have some entertainment value, with Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man being the best, they are the weakest films in the series. It's no wonder that after two such rallies, the monsters were DOA, and their last hurrah was as the butt of jokes in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Universal doesn't remember it's own history with these characters. They act like they were a chef carefully adding ingredients one at a time to produce something great. In reality, it was hey, let's chuck all these leftovers in a blender...somebody will eat it.

I always thought it was strange that in the movie House of Dracula (1945) Larry Talbot was cured, he stood under the full moon and never changed, but 3 years later he was the Wolfman again in Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein.

Comment

• knight errant00
        8 Inch Action Figure
        • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
        There was one huge flaw in the entire idea to begin with. Universal has been credited with creating the first "shared universe" in movies with their monster rally films of the 1940's. The problem with that is, those films weren't part of some grand vision, nor were they a culmination reached after establishing ideas from previous films...they were nothing more than a last ditch attempt at squeezing a few more bucks out of individual monsters who had reached a dead end by that point. The studio didn't know what to do with Dracula, Frankenstein, or the Wolf Man anymore, so they decided to team them up. Simple as that. And though they do have some entertainment value, with Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man being the best, they are the weakest films in the series. It's no wonder that after two such rallies, the monsters were DOA, and their last hurrah was as the butt of jokes in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Universal doesn't remember it's own history with these characters. They act like they were a chef carefully adding ingredients one at a time to produce something great. In reality, it was hey, let's chuck all these leftovers in a blender...somebody will eat it.
        Actually, a friend of mine and I were discussing just the other night that Universal should remake Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein to soft reboot the franchise . . .

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I always thought it was strange that in the movie House of Dracula (1945) Larry Talbot was cured, he stood under the full moon and never changed, but 3 years later he was the Wolfman again in Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein.
          For an answer to that, I can't recommend this book enough.

Frank J. Dello Stritto weaves ALL the Universal Monster films together into one working continuity, answers all the questions, and even throws in other horror films of the period in a way that isn't just fan-service. The end of A&C Meets Frankenstein actually gives him the hook to set the whole book off. Plus, TONS of photos from the films, and other films with Chaney and other actors to fill in Larry's life, and that of his ancestors.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎