Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I will now quote Grumpy Cat.

"Good"
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

My biggest problem with the Cruise Mummy was that it was just kind of ....average. I want good or TERRIBLE! It was somewhere in the middle. It was pretty obvious by watching it that Tom wrecked a better movie.

I am however biased because I'd watch a 2 hour movie of Sofia Boutella grocery shopping.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Just hand it all over to Guillermo Del Toro and let him go nuts. He can bring in his pal Ron Perlman to play Frankenstein's Monster.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

It's okay. The original Universal Cycle and the Hammer Films that followed provide more than enough thrills and chills. Want to see the monsters team up? Pop in Monster Squad (movie or TV show, really).

Marvel makes it look easy, and everyone is quick to criticize how lowbrow and disposable they are.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I still haven't seen The Mummy (I got it from the library and never got around to it), but I'm not surprised. I agree with Hedji that everyone seems to think you can just do Marvel and call it good. Since Universal had the ORIGINAL connected universe, as of Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, I would like to see something similar for modern audiences, but they need to make ONE really good movie first. And they should never be action/adventure films.

So, in the last decade, the remake of The Wolf Man, Dracula Untold and The Mummy have all under-performed from Universal.

Add in Van Helsing from the prior decade, and you kind of have to wonder why they don't try to match the exact right creator (like Del Toro) before moving ahead with these. It obviously isn't easy.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Well, it's a damn shame. It could have been the beginning of something very cool.

Kurtzman's Mummy was entertaining with some intriguing ideas, but it could have been so much better.

(I really liked Joe Johnston's take on The Wolf Man. The tone and pacing of that movie were great, and it was respectful of the original.)

Well, the new Mummy was better than those overly frenetic Stephen Sommers pictures, at least.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

that's too bad. I was looking forward to new monster movies

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I am however biased because I'd watch a 2 hour movie of Sofia Boutella grocery shopping.
                  Me too...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

The Mummy wasnt half bad...not great, but not bad either.

The most disappointing was not Tom Cruise...it was Russell Crowe’s lame Mr Hyde, good grief, it sucked.
                    sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

There was one huge flaw in the entire idea to begin with. Universal has been credited with creating the first "shared universe" in movies with their monster rally films of the 1940's. The problem with that is, those films weren't part of some grand vision, nor were they a culmination reached after establishing ideas from previous films...they were nothing more than a last ditch attempt at squeezing a few more bucks out of individual monsters who had reached a dead end by that point. The studio didn't know what to do with Dracula, Frankenstein, or the Wolf Man anymore, so they decided to team them up. Simple as that. And though they do have some entertainment value, with Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man being the best, they are the weakest films in the series. It's no wonder that after two such rallies, the monsters were DOA, and their last hurrah was as the butt of jokes in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Universal doesn't remember it's own history with these characters. They act like they were a chef carefully adding ingredients one at a time to produce something great. In reality, it was hey, let's chuck all these leftovers in a blender...somebody will eat it.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
                        Me too...

Two words for you sir. Atomic Blonde.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

It was pretty obvious by watching it that Tom wrecked a better movie.
                          From what I've read, I can't blame Cruise. Kurtzman went to him first on the set of an M:I and sold the idea, so Kurtzman knew what he was getting into.

I think it's like a lot of people from the Abrams orbit; they have undue clout and are just exploiting whatever ip they can get. A common theme is like Abrams and Trek, these guys really have no passion for the property they're dealing with, they just get off on selling the idea and making the deal. Film producers used to be cousins of literary agents, now they more akin to real estate agents.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

This article suggests that the Dark Universe is merely being "reconfigured" rather than abandoned completely... although there's no actual definite information in there.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Two words for you sir. Atomic Blonde.
                              Wow, I missed this post of yours for months?

What’s wrong with me???

Yes, saw Atomic Blonde...friggin fantastic movie...Charlize Theron and Sofia Boutella...together...oh my...my dream fantasy right there, lol. Oh, the action sequences were pretty good too...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎