• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Katz’s Deli

Anybody eaten there?

Big pastrami lover here...I was considering ordering some from their online store...

Wanna order a loaf of their rye bread too...mustard too...so I can make my own authentic Katz’s pastrami sandwich at home...

Thoughts?

sigpic
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Indeed I have. The corned beef, pastrami, and cured salami are delicious. The portions are huge. I even had a traditional Cel-Ray celery soda to wash it down.

Mail order? Hmmmm.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I’m going to order the pastrami, rye loaf, and their mustard...then down the line, other meats.

I love that dry rub crust, yum...

Thanks for the recommendation!

sigpic

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

"I'll have what she's having!"

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Egad it was good, I practically had to be taken out in a wheelbarrow.

I ordered the corned beef and my friend ordered pastrami, then we shared. Each sandwich seemed a pound of meat. We got a small salami for a later snack. Great brined (no vinegar, just garlic) pickles, too.

I've had some very good corned beef in Ohio, but theirs was terrific and I've never had better pastrami.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 6, '17, 6:07 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Did you read the menu for the triple meat platter? "Feeds three tourists or one regular customer." lol Awesome.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

yeah - Kat's is awesome. I almost could not find it tho, last time I went to the city. There is a giant parking garage over the building.
              still good, tho. send a salami to your boy in the army.
              It is a $20 sandwich there, but it will feed a tourist at least twice.
              Let us know how it survives the postal system for mail order.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

I have ordered frozen Omaha ribeyes online before, they were terrific...I’m sure the pastrami will be cooked and vacuumed packaged...two day delivery should be safe enough...
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  Did you read the menu for the triple meat platter? "Feeds three tourists or one regular customer." lol Awesome.
                  Yeah, a thing of beauty, lol...
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

They offer the juicy thick more fatty pastrami or the trimmed thinly sliced pastrami.

I don’t play around, I want the fatty one...more flavor, baby...

sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Katz’s is very good! The deli that Anthony Bourdain visited on his Parts Unknown: The Bronx episode is two blocks from my apartment and it’s excellent. I’ve never had better pastrami on rye. It’s called Liebman’s Delicatessen, estsblished in 1953.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Yeah, there will always be personal favorites amongst people...that’s a given.

My objective is Katz’s for the time being...as it’s arguably the most famous of the bunch this side of the ocean.

As a Californian...the East Coast pastrami is as exotic as it gets...

sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

Looking forward to your review! We have nooooooo Jewish deli here and I constantly crave good pastrami and/or corned beef. And pickles.
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

I, not being acquainted with Jewish delis, didn’t know what sour and half-sour pickles were and had to ask. I now know that sour pickles are essentially kosher dill pickles or at least very similar in taste. Either way, they’re a must!

Enjoy your pastrami, rye and mustard, Hec!

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Iron Mego
                              Wake Up Heavy
                              • Jan 31, 2010

Best pickle I've had in my life is from Canter's. I'd always take home any extras. Only got to go there when I visited a buddy who lived in LA, and haven't been in like 20 years. God I could go for one right now.
                              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎