• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Reports: Disney in talks to acquire a chunk of Fox Entertainment

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/11/...t-century-fox/

Originally reported by CNBC, it seems Fox execs feel they can't compete in the content production area of entertainment with the emergence of streaming services making their own content and that they are too small to survive in that realm, so Disney has entered into talks with them to buy their entertainment division (including the rights to the X-Men & FF) and some of their cable networks. Fox broadcasting, Fox Sports, and Fox news would not be part of the deal. Talks have been off and on for a while, so I doubt anything is imminent, but there seems to be smoke in this case, whether it's smoke and mirrors or an actual fire making smoke remains to be seen though.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; Nov 6, '17, 11:31 PM.
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

X-men and FF back at Marvel?!?! Awesome!!! I hope it happens.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

I would LOVE to see Marvel's First Family back where it belongs, probably even moreso than Spidey being "back" in the MCU.
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I can't read through the legal talk, but if this means Disney acquires Star Wars (the original film) distribution rights, then we could potentially be one step closer to a re-release of the original films. As I understand it, Fox owns the first Star Wars distribution rights in perpetuity.

So.. good news? Maybe?

But yes, please, someone give Marvel Fantastic Four.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

What about stuff that Fox has a piece of and someone else has another piece? Like say the '66 Batman series?

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
            I would LOVE to see Marvel's First Family back where it belongs, probably even moreso than Spidey being "back" in the MCU.
            That Spiderman film was soo bad I can't help but think it will be viewed as exhibit A in the case of Superhero fatigue and the slowing down of comic book blockbusters.

Horror I think will be the cycle that replaces them. IT was a huge hit and that was a C-List property. If there is a decent new Halloween, Friday 13, etc it will turn the tide. I don't have a horse in that race, but change is inevitable.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^Well, the general opinion on Homecoming was favorable and it did good business, so I don't really think you can us it as evidence that super hero fatigue has set in. Also see Thor's box office exceeding expectations.

I do agree horror may make more of a comeback, and Universal was really dumb for going "action/adventure" with their Dark Universe. Go horror people.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• ProfessorArturoLived
                • Sep 22, 2017

I want two things from this. Fantastic Four in the MCU and 20th Century Fox intro in front of my Star Wars.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  ^Well, the general opinion on Homecoming was favorable and it did good business, so I don't really think you can us it as evidence that super hero fatigue has set in. Also see Thor's box office exceeding expectations.

I do agree horror may make more of a comeback, and Universal was really dumb for going "action/adventure" with their Dark Universe. Go horror people.

Chris
                  The think the Infinity Wars will be a hit but the Phase after that is when it will level off.
                  The films are still making money, but they are probably the studios cash cows and anything under $500-700 mil is considered a flop. I wouldn't get complacent and think it will last another decade or two.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

I'm hearing it's been made official.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

I hear it has been leaked, official announcement next week

Comment

• Madcap70
                        • Dec 4, 2017

I hope this goes thru

Comment

• kept back
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 2, 2002

DCEU should consider just submitting at this point.
                          Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by kept back
                            DCEU should consider just submitting at this point.
                            Why? Wonder Woman was both a box office hit and critically acclaimed.

While JL might not be a mega hit here in the States...it’s breaking records in China.

I dug the heck outta JL. Can’t wait to see Aquaman next year.

The last Fantastic Four was truly abysmal...so was Iron Man 3 (although I admit, it made tons of money). So Marvel does lay out some bad eggs too.

DCEU will be just fine...Zack Snyder is out...nothing but improvement from now on...
                            Last edited by Hector; Dec 7, '17, 8:29 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• MRP
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Hector
                              Why? Wonder Woman was both a box office hit and critically acclaimed.

While JL might not be a mega hit here in the States...it’s breaking records in China.

I dug the heck outta JL. Can’t wait to see Aquaman next year.

The last Fantastic Four was truly abysmal...so was Iron Man 3 (although I admit, it made tons of money). So Marvel does lay out some bad eggs too.

DCEU will be just fine...Zack Snyder is out...nothing but improvement from now on...
                              Ray Berg (head of DC films) is also out at this point, removed today and Geoff Johns was pushed to the side and will have a reduced role, likely no longer getting a producer credit and just being an adviser without power to enforcer impose his views. According to Variety, Warner is looking to restructure the DC film division and move it (physically, it's currently in its own building and they are looking to move it with the rest of Warner film division) under the larger WB studio system and keep the DC influence away from it moving forward. It also says anything not already in the can is in jeopardy of being taken off the docket except Wonder Woman II. This is separate from the Disney/Fox films, but Justice League will lose money and they are upset each successive film (excepting Wonder Woman) is making less box office and costing more to make and promote. In its first 3 weeks of release, Justice League did not make as much domestically as Avengers did in its opening weekend but cost more to make and more to promote and it looks like it may not quite be profitable for them overall once marketing costs are added to production costs. International box office means little to studios because they get a far smaller percentage of that money than they do for domestic box office, so it's not a saving grace for movies that disappoint domestically. I haven't seen it yet, there was nothing in the trailer that made me want to spend my $$ to see it, so I can't comment on the content (I may watch it when I can do so for free but my only reaction to BvS, which I also saw for free was I wanted those two + hours of my life back and it wasn't worth what I paid to see it (which was zero), and suicide would have made a good 3 minute music video but unfortunately it was stretched to 2 hours which was an ordeal to get through, so I am not sure I am in any rush to see JL).

I don't know if the DCEU should submit, but they need to find a new tack and direction because what they are doing now is not cutting it in the marketplace. The suits doing cost/benefit analysis need to see better return on investment for the DCEU fimls not named Wonder Woman or they will start shutting them down.

-M
                              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎